Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-06-2003

kmeeks is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kmeeks Send a message via Skype™ to kmeeks
Oil Change experience - Lessons Learned

REMOVING THE OLD OIL

I just changed the engine oil on my diesel this weekend. After having read several reviews and pros/cons of using a hand pump that withdraws the oil through the dipstick hole - versus using an electric pump through an attached hose at the drain-plug, I opted for the cheaper alternative: hand-pump.

I was very careful in laying out pads to absorb oil - and kept a rag wrapped around the pump handle to catch any dribbles.

The hand-pump was an inexpensive model from West Marine (about $26).

The hoses were correctly sized - and assembly was quick and easy.

I did notice that the pump leaked more than I expected along the plunger handle...causing a minor mess as oil dripped in places I didn''t cover. It took approx. 30 minutes to transfer the old oil out.

Realizing that there was probably still oil in the lower portion of the engine oil pan, I decided to attempt further draining by placing a plastic cup in the bilge and letting gravity do a little work. About 1.5 cups were extracted...hopefully it was the worst of the lot...to compensate for the additional mess and effort getting it out.

REPLACING THE FILTERS

Next I removed the PH16 oil filter - luckily I had a nice wide oil catch pad already prepared, as about a 1/2 cup of oil spilled out as I removed it...and I quickly installed the new oil filter [remembering to lightly coat the new rubber seal first!!!]

Then I examined the old filter...

Oops.

No rubber seal.

Off comes the new oil filter - and I removed the old rubber seal from the engine block...re-install new oil filter.

ADDING NEW OIL

The previous owner told me he was using simple 30-W engine oil...I opted for a 15-40W blend that should provide extra protection during higher engine operating temperatures.

CONCLUSION

Overall, I would give the hand-pump a grade of a "C" - it was messy - and took longer than I wanted to spend on the task.

Storing the now-messy oil pump and associated hoses is problematic - and would be a contributing factor to creating new messes whenever it is needed again.

My next oil change will include a project to add an electric pump connected to a hose that is fitted into the drain plug of the engine.

Making engine oil changes simple, clean, and easy will help ensure that maintenance isn''t delayed due to inconvenience...and thus hopefully prolonging the life of vital equipment.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2003

lecomte38 is on a distinguished road

Forget the electric pumps - get a Big Boy vacuum pump/holding can.
Old 01-06-2003

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Buy the oil change kit from West Marine (a bucket with a pump mounted on top of it) and remove the pump from the bucket and mount it permanently in your engine compartment. I did this last winter and now I change my oil every fifty hours because I can (I drain it into empty washer fluid bottles). Make sure you put a ball valve in betwen the pump and the hose for positive shut off. I remove the handle of the ball valve just in case. I also bought a PVC threaded plug that I screw into the outlet of the pump so no risidual oil drips out inbetween changes. This is the best and easiest way to change oil!
Old 01-06-2003

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road

I hate to be the barer of bad news, but this may be for the better. I''d check with the owner''s manual about the type of oil to use in your diesel engine. Most like a single weight fleet type oil and don''t recommend the multi grades. There''s a round API service label on quart bottles of oil and there''s a specific grading for diesel engines. Make sure your using the right oil!

Another trick for draining the oil sump is to remove the drain plug and pipe in some 3/8-inch or 1/2-inch brass piping up to where you can put a suction hose from your pump onto it with out spilling! The wider pipe will make the task go faster and being at the drain will allow you to get it all. Make sure you put a cap on it when you’re done! Try running the engine a while first to get the oil hot and lower it''s viscosity. That will help it flow faster too.

Pi
Old 01-06-2003

capedoryus is on a distinguished road

I have used the hand pump this past oil change and I agree all the way. I have used the vacum based top sider available at West Marine in the past but lost it in a move and want with the cheap pump which was a mistake. I used the top sider for pumping the diesel oil from a car for over 300k miles and it worked great. Just have to make sure the oil is warmed up.
Old 03-14-2009

L124C is on a distinguished road
As stated above, you really need to warm the engine. My electric pump won't move the oil at all when cold. Once heated, it drains the oil in about 30 seconds!
Old 03-14-2009

nimble1 is on a distinguished road
Tried the hand pump first with disastrous results...went with the West Marine vaccum unit and its much better.
Hull #1
Old 03-14-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Guys..

I don't even know if KMeeks is still an active member and would assume he's done quite a few oil changes since 2003..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 03-14-2009

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateofcapeann View Post
I hate to be the barer of bad news, but this may be for the better. I''d check with the owner''s manual about the type of oil to use in your diesel engine. Most like a single weight fleet type oil and don''t recommend the multi grades. There''s a round API service label on quart bottles of oil and there''s a specific grading for diesel engines. Make sure your using the right oil!

Another trick for draining the oil sump is to remove the drain plug and pipe in some 3/8-inch or 1/2-inch brass piping up to where you can put a suction hose from your pump onto it with out spilling! The wider pipe will make the task go faster and being at the drain will allow you to get it all. Make sure you put a cap on it when you’re done! Try running the engine a while first to get the oil hot and lower it''s viscosity. That will help it flow faster too.

Pi
This can be done with the correct hose but DO NOT connect a brass or copper tube to the oil pan drain fitting ! The constant vibration will "work harden" the tube, it will be come very brittle and disintegrate depositing all your oil in the bilge.
Old 03-14-2009

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Get a PELA 2000. I can change my oil without spilling a drop in less than 10 mintes, with minimal labor.

Not a drop spilled.

PELA 2000 Oil Extractor at

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.