SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   C30 mast dimensions (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/59758-c30-mast-dimensions.html)

sailhog 11-12-2009 02:39 PM

C30 mast dimensions

Anyone happen to know the fore-and-aft width of the mast on a Catalina 30 tall rig? I think, but do not know, that it is 9.5 inches. If anyone on the forum happens to be down at their boat with a tape measure, I'd be much obliged....

smackdaddy 11-12-2009 02:48 PM

Hey dude, did you buy another 30?

sailhog 11-12-2009 03:03 PM

SD,
The sale fell through, so I'm having to move her from Hilton Head Island, SC all the way to the panhandle of Florida at the beginning of the month. Nine-hundred-plus big ones... I'm going drydock her for a few months just south of Jacksonville, FL at Green Cove Springs Marina, in order to get some work done.

I have a mid-boom mainsheet set-up, which has a snatch block attached near the foot of the mast. That attachment isn't the most secure, so I'm going to put in a marinized eye bolt all the way through the mast and attach the snatch block to that. Anybody have a C-30 at your marina?

smackdaddy 11-12-2009 03:09 PM

Well, $900 is a stinger - but at least you get to keep her.

Yeah - there's a newer 30 near me but I don't know if it's a TR or not. My own mast is a cut down from a 30. I'd be happy to run out there and measure that for you - but I would assume that the cut affected the dimensions.

What do you think?

sailhog 11-12-2009 03:18 PM

SD,
Thanks for the offer, but I don't need it right away. If you wouldn't mind taking a tape measure down to the boat next time you're down there, that would be great. Again, thanks.

The 900 big ones is 900 nautical miles of sailing to get her from HHI to here....

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 541261)
Well, $900 is a stinger - but at least you get to keep her.

Yeah - there's a newer 30 near me but I don't know if it's a TR or not. My own mast is a cut down from a 30. I'd be happy to run out there and measure that for you - but I would assume that the cut affected the dimensions.

What do you think?

smackdaddy 11-12-2009 03:19 PM

Hog,

CHECK THIS OUT

...if you haven't already. It has the parts manual - and has a spar and rigging section that may give you what you need.

If it works - make sure to tell Dog that I scooped him. He'll be furious.

sailhog 11-12-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 541266)
Hog,

CHECK THIS OUT

...if you haven't already. It has the parts manual - and has a spar and rigging section that may give you what you need.

If it works - make sure to tell Dog that I scooped him. He'll be furious.

Thanks... I've seen that document before. Check out the "spruce" spreader. Doesn't inspire confidence....

What I'm replacing is the eye strap that attaches to the mast in the drawings. It looks even flimsier in the drawing. If it blows out, the mainsheet will likely take out my coach roof handrail -- and possibly my skull.

Thanks for the post.

smackdaddy 11-12-2009 03:38 PM

Damn - so you're saying I didn't scoop Dog?

Anyway, I'll do some measuring this weekend and let you know.

christyleigh 11-12-2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailhog (Post 541258)
I have a mid-boom mainsheet set-up, which has a snatch block attached near the foot of the mast. That attachment isn't the most secure, so I'm going to put in a marinized eye bolt all the way through the mast and attach the snatch block to that.

Hey there hog.... I see you survived the hurricane remnants... ;) The last C30 mast I looked at closely was probably yours a couple years ago :rolleyes:...but do you not have any attachments around the base of your mast for attaching such things ? I know my C28 and C320 were much newer but that's the where they attached/anchored the mid-boom sheeting. If you are having it trucked down and have the mast off any way maybe you could add one of those plates under it that have multiple attachment points. It's a fairly common upgrade.

djodenda 11-12-2009 04:06 PM

I'd be happy to measure and photography whatever you wish.. I hope to make it to my boat this weekend or Wednesday...

David