Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-13-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Best is a slippery term:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd point out that the best jacklines are probably 1/4" or 5/16" spectra core-line with tubular webbing over it... the webbing acts as chafe and UV protection and also serves to make the jacklines easily identifiable under any conditions. THe webbing also makes it less likely to roll underfoot.
* Plain webbing would roll even less. If I had a monohull I would opt for webbing and annual replacement.
* The carabiner will slide better on rope. Webbing or webbing with a core is not used in industry or by climber in this application. webbing over spectra core is common for lifting slings, so the idea has president.
* The price is excessive.
* It is impossible to inspect the line, as the rope is not visible. This will lead to premature replacement.

Very high tech with some benefits, but still a compromise, I think. I have probably done more time than anyone on the board climbing (a guess, but it is a lot spread over 25 years, including small cliffs, big mountains, rock climbing, and ice climbing) and I don't think it is a system I would take up a mountain or use in an industrial facility.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2009

HerbDB is on a distinguished road
This is what I use. Available from Sailrite $.60/ft. Nylon is more uv resistant than polypropylene although it is a little more expensive.

Webbing Nylon Extra Heavy Royal Blue 1" 5300#
Old 11-14-2009

hutch5151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hutch5151
Go to cmcrescue.com. You can buy 1" flat webbing for $.44 per foot. It is rated to 6,000 lbs and is used by climbers and rescue organizations. While there, check out their clearance on 75" laynards for $5.00 each. A quick release shackle on one end and a locking carbiner on the other makes a great teather line to hook to your harness. CMC only sells quality rated gear.
Old 11-14-2009

Aluminumcarabiners are difficult to keep working in a marine environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5151 View Post
Go to cmcrescue.com. You can buy 1" flat webbing for $.44 per foot. It is rated to 6,000 lbs and is used by climbers and rescue organizations. While there, check out their clearance on 75" laynards for $5.00 each. A quick release shackle on one end and a locking carbiner on the other makes a great teather line to hook to your harness. CMC only sells quality rated gear.
Not impossible, but it will take frequent lubrication. I do use the locking biners some, but I have to oil them frequently to keep them right. Fresh water rinse does not seem to be needed.

Aluminum wire gate carabiners hold up very well. Great value, easy on the gelcoat (light), and versatile. Same strength rating as the SS carabiners, in general.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-14-2009

wookie is on a distinguished road
Just bought a Platismo 10m pair for £23.00 from a retailer do you want the web page?
Old 11-14-2009
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5151 View Post
While there, check out their clearance on 75" laynards for $5.00 each.
Hutch

Are you able to give me a URL for that clearance product??

Thanks

Rik
Old 11-14-2009

I think this is what he was pointing to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
Hutch

Are you able to give me a URL for that clearance product??

Thanks

Rik
CMC Rescue Inc. A good deal.

Then he would add these. CMC Rescue Inc. Personally, I like wire gate non-locking biners on the harness end.

This stuff is in the "outlet" section.

The net is amazing, no?

Old 11-14-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Personally, I like wire gate non-locking biners on the harness end.

you should not use a biner on the harness end you should use a snap shackle with a lanyard to release the gate. that way when your hung up or being dragged you can release yourself with out having to pull you weight off the lanyard
Old 11-14-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
The webbing works perfect in horrific conditions and makes me feel confidante to do stuff i would not be able to do without it

The only PITA is when racing we tack a lot and it changing sides is and ordeal

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 11-14-2009

And I have seen many snap shackles released by accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
you should not use a biner on the harness end you should use a snap shackle with a lanyard to release the gate. that way when your hung up or being dragged you can release yourself with out having to pull you weight off the lanyard
I have seen the "double-squeeze" biners jam up with dirt or ice too many times. Too many parts.

No thanks. I have taken many hundreds, probably thousands of falls on carabiners and they are what I trust. If I want extra safety, I can use 2 biners or an ordinary locker (no auto-lockers - they don't deal with ice, dirt, or salt well).

If I am being dragged, releasing myself is generally a death sentence, isn't it? If there is another person helping me, presumably they would have given me another rope and the existing tether will be released with a knife. There are many on board and 2 under the helm seat.

There are numerous tricks for releasing a biner under load, not easy, but I guess I have done it a lot. There are also habits for clipping biners to prevent them from self-unclipping (never clip to a hard point; clip from underneath, with the gate facing out - this also makes it easier to unclip under load). Safety biners are a lot more idiot proof, so I do understand.

But I understand yours is the majority opinion. I'm OK with that.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.