Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-13-2009

GMC is on a distinguished road
Jack Line - Home Made?

Wonder if I'm missing something. Rather than paying over one hundred fifty dollars for webbing jack lines, can't I just buy 1 ", type 18 webbing and and make my own? If so and my intent is to run one up both sides and clip lines to base of cleat and then run back to tie off/adjust on stern cleats, what type of clip/biner suggested for one end of each line. I don't want them sewn together at bow point. .58 cents a foot on the webbing looks pretty good.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
WELL

Its a life and death tool i would want to be sure the bargin was not going to die from UV in two weeks

We just tie off the ends on stern cleats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-13-2009

GMC is on a distinguished road
Yes, I would tie off to stern as well. The U/V thing is interesting as I've found nothing to suggest that the webbing is treated any differently for off the shelf jack lines from marine supply sources. That is, I think (and wonder) if it is just basic 1 ", type 18 with heavy duty clip and sewing already done. Actually the price I just saw was for 250.00 for a set.
Old 11-13-2009

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road
Don't use stern cleats, aft jack lines should be tied off about 6 feet (length of tether)from the stern thus you aren't being draged behind the boat. unless you are bait!
Old 11-13-2009

jbarros is on a distinguished road
I trust my life regularly to off the shelf webbing while climbing. Lets err on the side of caution and say it does suffer from UV exposure, and you're going to want to replace it once a year, or even twice? I pay about 30c a foot for 18kn rated webbing, and it takes all of, what, 5 minutes to rig them if you have the tie off points/cleats installed? Sounds like a win to me.

disclaimer: I am not a rigger, nor do I have any professional expertise with boats or life saving devices.

-- James
Old 11-13-2009
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
On ours we have an "eye" sewn at the bow end that goes under and then over the cleat centered just aft of the bow. We then go back to cleats about seven feet from the stern and tie them off there.

Two questions:

1 - are you willing to trust your life to the webbing (my answer is yes)
2 - are you willing to trust your life to your sewing of the "eye" - again, my answer is yes.

And for that price - I can replace them just about as often I we want. And, I bet I could lift a truck with the webbing. - but that is just a guess.

UV degradation?? Ours are inside the cabin unless rigged. In most cases they don't get rigged because in most cases we stay put if we are going to need jack lines. Always rigged and used for night sailing and we have found that there is not a lot of UV degradation to the jack lines at night.

Cheers

Rik
Old 11-13-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Sounds good to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMC View Post
Wonder if I'm missing something. Rather than paying over one hundred fifty dollars for webbing jack lines, can't I just buy 1 ", type 18 webbing and and make my own? If so and my intent is to run one up both sides and clip lines to base of cleat and then run back to tie off/adjust on stern cleats, what type of clip/biner suggested for one end of each line. I don't want them sewn together at bow point. .58 cents a foot on the webbing looks pretty good.
Are you a climber; it sounds like you might be. If you are talking about tubular climbing webbing, sure it's strong enough. I actually use 5/8" dock line, but I have a cat and they are not rigged where they are underfoot. But the nice thing about dock line is that I can leave them set for years; always available at night, when on deck alone, and in storms.

The comments on UV are correct. Climbers see anchor slings in the mountains all the time that are destroyed by the sun.

I have a long posting on my blog about jacklines and such. Perhaps it will give you ideas. Sail Delmarva: Search results for climber

Background: I am an engineer and a rock climber /mountaineer with 25 years experience in all sorts of places.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 11-13-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
Always rigged and used for night sailing and we have found that there is not a lot of UV degradation to the jack lines at night.

Cheers

Rik
Actually, the same is generally true of all gray weather.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 11-13-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that the best jacklines are probably 1/4" or 5/16" spectra core-line with tubular webbing over it... the webbing acts as chafe and UV protection and also serves to make the jacklines easily identifiable under any conditions. THe webbing also makes it less likely to roll underfoot.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-13-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd point out that the best jacklines are probably 1/4" or 5/16" spectra core-line with tubular webbing over it... the webbing acts as chafe and UV protection and also serves to make the jacklines easily identifiable under any conditions. THe webbing also makes it less likely to roll underfoot.
Yeah, over $2 per foot v.s. $.30 per foot with same result and same strength.
What's the point?