SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Insulation ...

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mitiempo 
#1 ·
With too many projects on-going (yes I know .. prioritize and complete) ...
one is requiring attention and moving to the top of the list ...

insulation ... for the V berth specifically and the entire boat (potentially)

Again ...the '67 Cal 28 is a test bed for acquiring skills and knowledge as a move up 6-8 feet is planned in 2-3 years ... and it is the San Francisco Bay cold I am primarily concerned about ... and yes ... I am not the handiest bulb on the string ...

There are a few instructional posts on this subject which I have read ... along with much in the forums ...

Capt'n Pauley's Virtual Boatyard -- Projects Galore!!!: Installing Insulation in Your Boat

The Frugal Mariner: Advice for the cash-starved boater -- Insulating your boat

SetSail » Blog Archive » Adding Insulation to Wind Horse

I have come to the conclusion that "reflectix" seems to be the most cost-efficient and easiest way to go ...

My specific questions are ...

V berth (primary focus for the moment)

- two layers sufficient/required?
- what about adding polyethylene foam between between the layers?
- can the "reflectrix" be set directly against the hull ... or should there be an 'air pocket' left ... (the insulation is to be covered in fabric for a more aesthetically pleasing feel and look)
- if so, can it simply be caulked on?
- should the below water level areas (accessible via storage compartments) be insulated to a greater degree?
- any ideas for the anchor locker?

There is currently condensation build-up above only (marine plywood fiber-glassed over) and I have concerns this will continue even if I add a small dehumidifier ... what precautions can be taken to resolve this issue (again ... insulation to be covered in fabric ... but this piece not being done immediately as I have to reset the safety stanchions per Maine Sail's informative guide ... (another pressing project)

Re-Bedding Hardware Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

(yes I read it for the photos ... unashamed)

as if I am not asking enough ... will continuing to insulate the hull ... especially in the cabin and aft berth areas ... help in keeping the chill from my feet (still 40 years removed from humping in the boonies ... rather sensitive to wet and cold)

Thanks to all for their patience ... time and expertise in replying.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi
I'm about to do the same thing to my boat (CS27). I have insulated past boats and will use the same material as before, 1/2" Ethafoam. Easy to cut with a razor knife, easy to glue to the hull sides as it's flexible, and good closed cell insulation. It's made by Dow, is totally inert and not expensive. It is available in various thicknesses but I've always used 1/2". In lockers you don't really have to cover it. My neighbor (we both live aboard) in a Spencer 35 has most of his accessible interior lined with it. It has been there for about 20 years - I knew the boat and the previous owner when it was done. In the lockers below the seating it is exposed and is pretty easy to keep clean. His quarter berth alongside the hull is exposed as well and for the most part it has stood up well - but his cats have scratched it a bit:D . What I will do is glue it to the hull with a good spray glue and in exposed areas cover it with varnished thin wood strips. In cabinets where it isn't seen with the door closed I will cover it with 1/8" plywood either varnished or painted, protecting the hidden side of the plywood with epoxy. It is available at plastics shops in this area and is pretty common. A google search shows it in black but I have only ever seen white. Hope this helps.
Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.