SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   DIY christmas present (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/59815-diy-christmas-present.html)

larissa1740 11-15-2009 06:53 AM

DIY christmas present

HI;

My dad owns a 21ft Holiday 23. And I decided that this year for Christmas -instead of buying useless, expensive gadgets- I woud 're-do' the boat's outdated interior. (I will post pictures as soon as I have figured out a way to get the keys from my dad without him getting suspicious.)

I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine,so re-upholstering shouldn't be a problem.
My issue is that the fibreglass on the 'walls' of my dad's yacht USED TO BE white and look quite horrendous. I want to know if it's possible to somehow 'repaint' the fibreglass to make it look 'new'.
I'm a student so I don't have the budget to get a proffessional to come do it for me.

can someone pls help...

timebandit 11-15-2009 08:27 AM

Windex (the window cleaner) works wonders to remove smoke and grease and stuff from fibreglass.

Clean from the bottom up.

larissa1740 11-15-2009 08:42 AM

THX; i'll try that.

do I just spray on and wipe with a cloth? or is there another trick I should know about?

JimMcGee 11-15-2009 09:31 AM

The previous owner of my boat was a heavy smoker. Spray Nine, with one of those green scrubbing pads, followed by a wet paper towel works wonders, but you have to have everything open on the boat while you're using it to keep the fumes down.

Jim

Faster 11-15-2009 09:39 AM

And once you clean it, a coat of paint will dress it right back up again. Any of the single part "plastic" paints from Home Depot or Home Hardware etc will do a decent job in inside the boat. Ideally use Interlux Brightsides, but the hardware store paint is less expensive.

larissa1740 11-15-2009 11:08 AM

Srr, I'm South African; so just to clarify: an acrylic-style paint will work? won't the salt water damage the paint? or should I use like a special varnish?

sailingdog 11-15-2009 11:48 AM

I'd point out that Mr. Clean Magic Erasers will get rid a of a lot of things that resist other cleaning methods. :)

larissa1740 11-15-2009 11:50 AM

Another question: if I want to lighten/change the color of the 'wood' table in the cabin is there a specific varnish or finish I should use that won't take on too much salt/water damage?

timebandit 11-15-2009 01:11 PM

If it is smoke and grease just spray it on but start from the bottom to keep it from streaking, you may have to do it twice.

Spray it on and let it set a little and wipe it off, just like a washing a window.

Quote:

Originally Posted by larissa1740 (Post 542077)
THX; i'll try that.

do I just spray on and wipe with a cloth? or is there another trick I should know about?

Waltthesalt 11-15-2009 08:25 PM

If it doesn't clean up repainting isn't that hard just tedious and time consuming. I used a white topside paint... a bit pricey but bullit-proof. Looks great. Some places took more that one coat. Best done in warm dry weather. Gotta do the masking and all the preps on the can. Expect to get yourself painted as well