Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-15-2009

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
The admiral said it wouldn't work; It did!

We bought our Morgan Tiger Cub in February and something's been bugging us since day one. The windvane at the top of the mast was bent back:

It just didn't look right and prolly wasn't all that consistant at that angle. I don't have the ability to get up there to fix it and I've been thinking of ways to strighten it from the deck. Today I decided to give my best idea a try. I had an old spreader lying around:

Drilled a few holes:

And then fastened it to the backstay. I used the main halyard (tied the bitter end to the bottom of the old spreader to form a continous loop) and ran it up the backstay:

It just touched the bottom of the windvane, that was the first failure:

So I drilled another hole, lower on the old spreader. It pushed the windvane up a little but it seemed to spring almost all the way back, that was the second failure:

So I drilled another hole, even lower on the old spreader. It pushed the windvane up and I tried to compensate for the "spring back" effect. Well, it didn't spring back now it was too high, third failue:

So, I made a little "hook" with a bolt:

Ran it up the backstay one more time, success:

Now the boat looks great and the best part: The admiral admitted I'm a freakin genius

Next day!

Fat-assed bird!

DB

Last edited by Dirtboy; 11-18-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
the things we do so we don't have to go aloft! Your just the McGiver of rigging repairs DB!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-15-2009

swimnfit is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I have always considered myself to be pretty good at "Macgyvering" things. But you sir..... are a master!
Well Done!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“A wet sheet and a flowing sea, / A wind that follows fast / And fills the white and rustling sail / And bends the gallant mast.”
Old 11-15-2009
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
That was awesome, well done!!

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

Old 11-15-2009
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Well Done! A little ingenutity and great persistence pays off. The reward being double sweet if you actually fixed your boat and the Admiral was impressed. Can't do much better than that.

Take the rest of the day off.
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 11-15-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nicely done Dirtboy.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-15-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Excellent!!!!!!!!!

If you could figure out how to pull down a skyed halyard that way you got something you could market.

Never Forgotten

Last edited by bubb2; 11-15-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-15-2009

Dirtboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
Excellent!!!!!!!!!

If you could figure out how to pull down a skyed halyard that way you got something to you could market.
Guess I could get another one of these:

BTW, this was our "rescue monkey," she had been a research animal. We got her when she was 12 and she lived with us for over 20 years until she passed away. If you look real close you can see the crude tattoo on her chest ...... she was number 49.

Thank's for the positive comments, everyone.

DB
Old 11-15-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Well done....Now Mr McGyver Sir... please show me how to do that on my split backstay..

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 11-15-2009
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
I give you genius points for the continuous loop thing, for sure! Shoot, I give you genius points for having a way to retrieve. I might have gotten all excited about my great idea and sent it up there with no way back

Nice one!

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright