Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-07-2003

dargiem is on a distinguished road
Paddle wheel transducer

I have an older Standard Horizon SL-1 speed/log and the paddle wheel transducer is no longer functioning. I preformed the test as outlined by the factory and they consider it "dead". The factory also said the company that made parts for these older electronics is not longer supplying them.
Any thoughts (other than buying a new SL-45 and transducer for ~$300.00)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2003

clayton is on a distinguished road
Paddle wheel transducer

I''ve had too many problems with SH stuff. I could never get my speed to calibrate. I put the plug in the through hull and have not used it for three years. Instead, I use my gps.
Old 01-07-2003

joub is on a distinguished road
Paddle wheel transducer

I second Clayton''s remarks. The GPS does the same job unless you are in a strong current situation. i.e. GPS will give you speed over the bottom vs speed through the water with the paddle wheel. It was always traumatic for me to have all that water gushing into the bilge while changing out the plugs anyway!

Fairwinds,

Jim
Old 01-07-2003

loki is on a distinguished road
Paddle wheel transducer

I have had the same problem with Standard Horizon with both a depth sounder transducer and an anemometer transducer. I think it is a gimic of theirs to sell new instruments
Old 01-08-2003

RichardElliott is on a distinguished road
Paddle wheel transducer

My paddle wheel was prolific for growing mussels! Agree that GPS for speed over the ground and an engine tach are all that you need.
Old 01-09-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Paddle wheel transducer

I strongly disagree about a GPS being a substitute for a knotmeter. A GPS shows completely different velocity information and with far less accuracy than a knotmeter. The knotmeter shows speed through the water. It is that speed that is necessary to evaluate sail trim and other performance items. GPS is worse than useless in that mode. Used in concert with the GPS, the knotmeter allows you to better understand the currents that you are sailing in. Used in concert with a wind instrument the knot meter can give you VMG toward or away from the wind. A GPS can give you VMG toward a waypoint.

Jeff

Old 01-09-2003

RookieHunter is on a distinguished road
Paddle wheel transducer

I don''t understand why overall speed is not the intended purpose. I have a handheld Garmin GPS 76 (not the map version) and when I walk, it updates nearly every step with an applicable change in speed readout. As most of you know I am dangerously new, but if I trim my sails and am currently at 6 knots and it changes to 8 knots, then with or without the tide speed I''ve improved. Obviously Jeff is above my head with the comparing to a wind measurement device etc.

Please confirm again that I''m not debating I''m clarifying my novice mind as to why this wouldn''t be acceptable at my experience level.

My interest level is this. I also have a through hull transducer and will look up (under motor power) and it reads out an acceptable measurement and not change speeds or direction and it will not read anything. Look up again and it''s pegged out over 10. I haven''t had my GPS (it''s handheld) out on the water yet so I can''t see if it ever correlates.

Heres to gentle seas and steady breeze!
Old 01-09-2003

Paddle wheel transducer

With due respect to Jeff''s experience and obvious expertise in many areas, I must take exception to his statement that the GPS speed readout is not a useful indicator of boat speed.
GPS reads speed over the bottom when in a general nav mode (i.e. not navigating to a waypoint position). If you are indicating 5 knots, that is your speed from your present lat/long position. If the GPS is set up to navigate to a given waypoint, then the speed indication will only be accurate if you are heading directly to or away from that waypoint. This may lead to some confusion if that point is not understood.

I use my GPS constantly as an idicator of sail trim and it works great! How many paddle wheels will give you an accurate change of .1 knots? Plus GPS doesn''t pickup seaweed or critters to screw it up.

What GPS will not give you is speed through the water, which usually isn''t significant especially for sail trim. However, one must remember, if you have a tide or river flow against you of five knots, the GPS could be reading zero if you are making five knots through the water (the same speed as the flow against you). The result is zero speed over the ground. If you turn around and go with the flow, the GPS will show ten knots!(speed through the water + current flow = 10 knots over the ground) Hey! this boat is FAST!!

Hope this helps clarify the matter

Fairwinds,

Jim
Old 01-09-2003

RookieHunter is on a distinguished road
Paddle wheel transducer

Hey You actually did make it make a lot of sense with the analogy of moving with the tide. If I am using GPS with the tide moving 5knot and the boat hull speed is 10knot and my GPS is showing 10 knot then I would not know I can gain a little more power from my boat( boat capable of 10 and currently going 5). With the through hull transom it would show that I''m only moving at 5 knot,correct? That way I could try to get a little more from my boat.

I know many more variables come into play, but is this what were talking about?
Old 01-09-2003

Paddle wheel transducer

Actually, in my example, the boat is moving through the water at the same speed in each case.
I was just attempting to show the difference between speed through the water and speed over the bottom. Boat performance is only related to speed through the water. The extra five knots "going with the flow" is coming from the current flow not better boat performance.

I thought the original question was if you could use the GPS speed indication to determine performance. Yes...because whatever speed you were making over the bottom (i.e. GPS indicated speed) increased/decreased from the sail adjustment or power setting you made.

Jim

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.