Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Gary
Props are made with alloys that sometimes include zinc. When copper painted the zinc will dissolve. See this link to an explanation by Maine Sail.
Why Not To Paint Your Prop (with copper based paint) - SailboatOwners.com
Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
The zinc will dissolve IF it is not protected by another piece of pure zinc. This will happen regardless of if there is copper paint on it or not. If this is true; then again I ask why the same chemical reaction does not take place on non-grounded fittings like thru-hulls and skeg shoes?
Old 11-17-2009

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
After you get it clean, try protecting it with Zinc spray by Pettit. I have used it for years with much success.
See here: http://www.pettitpaint.com/fileshare...ds/1179320.pdf
Well.... that makes me feel a little better. I tried that stuff for the first time this year and at a fall haul the prop and shaft had hundreds of barnacles. But..... in the N.E. it was a good year for barnacles with the wet June we had and I didn't get out that much. It's all I had so since it was just a short haul I cleaned and re-painted with the same..... we'll see next haul.
And.... another... But..... a couple guys who keep their boat in the same area saw my mess and boasted about the much better protection they got from the 2 part (actually 3 with primer) EP2000 at $67 a quart.
So much of it seems to be where and when.... I'm a bit deeper into the small cove and the few things I've read about barnacles makes me think it's more of a crap shoot than I would like to beleive
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 11-17-2009
Arf!

pegasus1457 is on a distinguished road
more info on spray-on barnacle prevention for prop shafts

The product that I was told about is Pettit's Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier.

Product description from one retailer's web site:

Pettit Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier 1792 is specifically designed to be used on bare metals such as steel, stainless steel, cast iron, copper, bronze, galvanized steel and lead, both above or below the waterline. Zinc Coat forms an excellent adhesive bond to underwater metals and running gear and inhibits corrosion on these surfaces. Properly applied, Pettit Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier yields a smooth, hard surface that self-cleans under way.

Price for a 16-oz spray can is about $22.

Edit: I just saw the previous post reporting negative results for this product. But the guy in my boatyard had a clean shaft at haul out and mine is a mess, and we were both in the same harbor all season.

Last edited by pegasus1457; 11-17-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Seems these things are subject to a lot of variables...I can only say that for me, the Pettit Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier Spray works well. That means I found that it reduced the amount of barnacles to an acceptable amount (two dozen or less).
  • We use the boat often except August and dead of winter.
  • Kept on the Chesapeake Bay in brackish water in a shallow creek where summer water temps reach 80+

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-17-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
KeelHaulin
"Why the same chemical reaction does not take place on non-grounded fittings like thru-hulls and skeg shoes?"
I think specifically because they are not grounded (and I don't believe they should be). By not being grounded they are not a connected part of the "electrical mix" underwater, and at least as far as thru-hulls are usually a fair ways from the prop and shaft physically as well.
I received an interesting link in an email that is from a company selling a prop for the Atomic 4 that besides better performance promises to almost eliminate prop fouling (I have no association). Scroll down to "No More Barnacles!"
Boat Seem Underpowered?
Makes for interesting reading.
Brian
Old 11-17-2009

OasisII is on a distinguished road
cleaning the prop and shaft

I am not sure that anyone fully addressed the cleaning of your prop. I have had great success with fine emery(sp?) cloth (waterproof sandpaper) and straight vinegar.

Put the vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray the vinegar on and lightly sand. It takes some time, but the prop and shaft look like new.

Mike
Old 11-17-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Good tip OasisII, I have done the same with great results, and yes, it does take some time, but worth it.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-17-2009

ChuckA is on a distinguished road
I just had a 33 year old Pearson surveyed. The prop was painted and barnacle covered. The surveyor advised me that a prop should produce an audible "ring" when tapped lightly with a piece of metal. lack of a ring indicates dezincification which can result from copper paint on Bronze. His advice was not to paint the prop, but to polish it to a bright shine, which slows down growth. Here is a photo (from before I got religion) showing the prop on my former inboard powerboat, after refurbishing by Ocean Props in Middletown, RI.

Note: I since learned that the nuts are on backwards in this picture. The thin nut is supposed to go against the prop with the thicker nut on the end of the shaft. It ran like that for a couple of seasons after which I reversed them. Don't think it made any real difference.

Twitter: @CoastalCafe_NE
Old 11-20-2009
Maine Member

BELLATRIX1965 is on a distinguished road
Prop Anti-fouling / Prop Shaft Nuts

ChuckA - you had the prop shaft nuts on CORRECTLY in your photo - the thick nut should be next to the prop - its numerous threads take up the axial load of "pushing" the prop onto the shaft taper - the thin nut is only a jam locking device to keep the whole mess from un-screwing (just in case anybody else looks at this thread!).

As far as prop anti-fouling goes, I watched a fellow sailor having his boat pulled after a long (early May to 25 October) season here in Buck's Harbor, Maine - not a barnacle on it! His secret - stove black! You know, the stuff that comes in a tube that you buff onto the surface of your wood stove to make it - well - black! I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it myself! Anybody else ever try that?? It will be on my prop next Spring for sure!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.