Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Re: barnacles on prop, shaft

After being away for 2 weeks, I spent an hour in the water cleaning the prop and bottom yesterday. Bottom only had some slime (I used Pettit Horizons) but prop and shaft had lots of small barnacles (used Pettit Zinc Coat). Pretty much the same as in previous years here in Western Long Island Sound.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Two years ago (2011) I had the bottom of my O'day 35 soda-blasted, barrier coated, and had three coats of Pettit Horizons applied (initial coat of red, and two of blue). So far, the paint has held up VERY well, and still seems to be doing it's job. I dove on the boat this week, and brushed off heavy slime, but no barnacles.

The prop and shaft, were a different story. I had applied two coats of Pettit Transducer paint (mentioned earlier in this thread) in the spring. The prop and shaft were completely covered with little barnacles. They scraped off easily with a putty knife, but the little buggers seem to have adapted to the zinc based paint.

This was instigated after I noticed diesel smell, and black exhaust (soot) while motoring, and that she would only reach 2100 RPM at WOT. After the brushing and scraping, the motor would run at 2800 RPM at WOT, and speed (motoring) increased from 4.9 to 6.0 KTS.

She's not perfectly clean, but she is a good deal cleaner than she was.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 07-19-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

-1 for the Pettit spray

I had to scrape my prop after 1.5 months in the water, it was covered with barnacles
Old 07-19-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

After almost 3 years in the water (mid chesapeake) my boat was covered in barnacles and the recent infestation of slime going around on the bay.
I had a diver clean the bottom last week - he said the paid did it's job as the barnacles were not firmly attached (they came off with a light, long stroke of the blade - you could hear him 'whoosh, whosh' scraping away). That's WM's CPP, two coats by the way.

The Max prop and shaft on the other hand were coated. The max prop's blades still rotated, but otherwise they were more paddles than blades. My best speed was 5.0 knts.
I'm looking forward to streaking across the bay this weekend.
Old 07-19-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
There's something I don't need to see
jimgo likes this.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-19-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
There's something I don't need to see
Jealously is so ugly.

At least you'll be looking at my stern
arf145 likes this.
Old 07-19-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

I've been using Propspeed for the last several years, works better than anything else I've ever tried...

However, perhaps this has already been mentioned before or elsewhere, but by far the best solution I've ever found to inhibit growth on running gear of a boat that is sitting, is enclosing it all in a heavy duty black plastic garbage bag, or something similar...

Not convenient for most, I realize, but whenever I know my boat will be sitting for awhile, I put a bag on it... This growth needs some light to flourish, and simply blocking out the light really does seem to do the trick to a significant extent, in my experience...

It's easy to rig the bag with a tagline at the bottom, so that it can be removed without going back in the water... Of course, it goes without saying that if you make this your routine, you definitely want a foolproof 'reminder' tagged to your ignition key, that there's a bag and some light line wrapped around your running gear...:-)

I'm lucky, my prop is quite accessible, I've even been able to get a bag around it without going in the water, using a large fishing net from my floating dock... Of course, those with a prop in an aperture, or a saildrive well forward of the rudder, there's no other option than to dive on it...

Another solution would be to configure a larger form-fitted 'diaper' from a larger tarp, that could led under the boat without going in the water, and be tied off at deck level from each corner... The key would be to make it truly 'form-fitting' to the hull, however, any light getting inside it will defeat its effectiveness to some degree...

Old 07-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Jealously is so ugly.

At least you'll be looking at my stern
This I want to see. A 37 Tartan vs. a 38 Morgan....Both similar PHRF ratings.

I am willing to be the committee boat, since I can sail back and forth between you in our undersized 35 C&C. BTW my money is on Shawn.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-19-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Hoping for 15 knots of wind I see

We are having our bottom done Monday. We have slowed considerably too. Its our third year on Ultima 60 and we coated with the petit stuff on our haul out last summer. I am interested in what the diver finds, as we are still sailing quite fast in the 6+ to 7+ range but under motor barely 5.5

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
This I want to see. A 37 Tartan vs. a 38 Morgan....Both similar PHRF ratings.

I am willing to be the committee boat, since I can sail back and forth between you in our undersized 35 C&C. BTW my money is on Shawn.
Irwin 38 mk II - not Morgan.

So's my money in a straight up race because I have floppy sails and believe in the 'set them and leave them' trimming school.
Also if he gets there first he can drop anchor and I can raft up to him and save my back/deck from work/mud.

Craigtoo is going to the same place, same time. I actually out PHRF him in his Sabre 34 also. I guarantee I can beat him because he'll be towing a dinghy.

PHRF is for racing, I'm a cruiser. I don't tweak my sail trim every 1.3 seconds on my cruising boat. I relax and enjoy the sail.

Especially, getting back to the original topic - now that the barrier reef has been removed from my hull, prop and shaft.