Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-17-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
I'd go with pdq on this one. Quick, easy, effective. Sew it shut if you want to be doubly sure it won't come undone. Our spinnaker halyard shackles have had knots for the past 8 years without any problems.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2009

jephotog is on a distinguished road
I am assuming you are looking to just splice in a quick release shackle into the end of your halyards. I used an oldschool book marlinspike sailor a while back to learn to do some splicing. I plan or relearning to do my upcoming projects. I am doing it to because I want to learn and develop a new skill, but for the effort it is probably cheaper to pay someone to do two splices. You should have most of the tools but will need a fid and maybe a pusher, as well as a few hours to learn and do it.

Both Samson and New England rope offer guides online.
Also
Riggers Apprentice by Brion Toss
Or the Marlinspike Sailor

Will be a good sources.

Three strand like you'd use for docking was fairly easy. The double braid is harder. You should probably buy 20 extra feet to practice with before doing your halyards. Make a large eye splice to get a feel for it then make a smaller one before. If it looks right then move on to your halyards.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-18-2009
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
ashleys book of knots has how to splice lines..and how to whip them --with and without needle-----
Old 11-18-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Just be aware that you are cutting the strength of the line by about 50% when you put a knot in it. When use an eye splice you retain over 90% of the original line strength; and usually the eye does not fail unless it was chafed through.
Old 11-19-2009

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
Splicing braid is a pain but satisfying and worth it once you get the hang of it. Practice on some expendable rope. Brian Toss has a book and goes over it but the rope makers also have splicing instructons you can download from thier websites. They will also come with the splicing fid you need to buy to do it. No majic here all it takes is time, patience and peservarance.
Old 11-19-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Brion Toss' "Making Your Own Eye Splices" DVD
Old 11-19-2009

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
The Norson Splice

First off, I appreciate the feedback and the general discussion. I went ahead and tried the norson splice. (link below, gleaned from above). I made it to the 2nd to last step, and the 'milking the rope' is a real bear. i wondered if i taped my braid to fat? have any of you tried this splice and encountered a similar problem? it seems pretty straight forward, if you have the time to unsheath the core.... thanks for your help, and maybe this might help you to, as the link has pics that are very good.

How to Eye Splice double braid rope

thanks
Quinn

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 11-19-2009

whigmaleerie is on a distinguished road
It will take you 1hour to master, them you will forget it all in 12hours, if you do it reguirely you will get the hand look a english braids website it gives you all the steps you need. Have fun its very satisfying
Old 11-19-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
First off, I appreciate the feedback and the general discussion. I went ahead and tried the norson splice. (link below, gleaned from above). I made it to the 2nd to last step, and the 'milking the rope' is a real bear. i wondered if i taped my braid to fat? have any of you tried this splice and encountered a similar problem? it seems pretty straight forward, if you have the time to unsheath the core.... thanks for your help, and maybe this might help you to, as the link has pics that are very good.

How to Eye Splice double braid rope

thanks
Quinn

Check out the video, you may pick up a trick or two that will make it easier.

Old 11-19-2009
SV Déjàlà

braidmike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by whigmaleerie View Post
It will take you 1hour to master, them you will forget it all in 12hours, if you do it reguirely you will get the hand look a english braids website it gives you all the steps you need. Have fun its very satisfying
Man, did you hit it on the head!!

I practiced on some inexpensive double braid while on vacation. Started looking pretty good. A few weeks later back on the boat I figured I'd whip out a couple eye splices on some new lines, and then show off to all the neighbors. Frustration beyond belief!! I quietly snuck below, spent a couple days rereading all the instructions, relearning every trick... I now get the instruction sheet out before I start, and reread each step as I go. I guess old brains just don't absorb knowledge quite as quickly.

Good Luck!!

And it is a good feeling when dock neighbors admire your splices!