Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-19-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Incorrect: a figure 8 with a tuck-back on the tail is a 90% strength knot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
Just be aware that you are cutting the strength of the line by about 50% when you put a knot in it. When use an eye splice you retain over 90% of the original line strength; and usually the eye does not fail unless it was chafed through.
I used to make climbing equipment and I have tested this on a rig many times. Food for thought; rock climbers routinely take soaring whippers on 10mm ropes, never held with a splice, always a figure 8. Their lives do depend on the knot.

A bowline is ~ 55% strength, probably what you heard.

The trouble with a figure 8, and why it is not so popular on boats, is that once loaded hard it cannot generally be untied. Oh well. A figure 8 never fails unless cut through.

I can spit out 90% strength knots EVERY TIME in 10 seconds, probably with the lights off. Is the reliability of amateur splices better than that? How would you feel about falling 30 feet onto your splice? I have done that on knots.

Note on tuck back; a figure 8 can be increased in strength from 80% to 90% by taking the tail around behind the standing part and tucking it into the previous turn. Most knots fail on the first sharp turn, and this pads the turn. Some call this a Yosemite finish. A further improvement takes this another turn. Please see the attached.American Alpine Institute - Climbing Blog: The Figure-Eight Follow-Through.

Climbers don't know all the knots, but they have learned a few very well.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 11-19-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A simple but effective knot that retains much of the line's strength is the buntline hitch. However, be warned that a buntline hitch does tend to become rather permanent and difficult to untie if its set under load all season.

As for splicing, I second the Toss splicing wands. I would also point out that what line you have will often determine how it can be spliced. Parallel core, high-tech core, or other lines will require a different splice technique from a traditional polyester double braid. Using the wrong splice on a line can be a very, very serious mistake.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-20-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
In splicing, practice counts. I'd pick up an extra dozen feet of line and use the ends for practice, then cut 'em off and practice again until the splices look nice and clean. What's left can always make a fender line or something else on the boat, it won't be wasted.
Old 11-20-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
In splicing, practice counts. I'd pick up an extra dozen feet of line and use the ends for practice, then cut 'em off and practice again until the splices look nice and clean. What's left can always make a fender line or something else on the boat, it won't be wasted.
Good idea. Just don't make the mistake of trying to put a splice into an old used piece of line. It'll put you off splicing for life.
Old 11-20-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
I used to make climbing equipment and I have tested this on a rig many times. Food for thought; rock climbers routinely take soaring whippers on 10mm ropes, never held with a splice, always a figure 8. Their lives do depend on the knot.
So you'd rather tie that unruly blob of a knot to your halyard shackle (just waiting to get fouled in your rigging) than simply take the time to do a proper eye splice?

I don't discount that a figure eight may be a knot with higher strength; but I don't think it's suitable for use on sailboat halyards or sheets (unless it's an emergency). I can't remember how many times our sheets would snag and hold to the shrouds with bowlines tied; since switching to eye splices we have had none.
Old 11-20-2009
SV Déjàlà

braidmike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
So you'd rather tie that unruly blob of a knot to your halyard shackle (just waiting to get fouled in your rigging) than simply take the time to do a proper eye splice?

I don't discount that a figure eight may be a knot with higher strength; but I don't think it's suitable for use on sailboat halyards or sheets (unless it's an emergency). I can't remember how many times our sheets would snag and hold to the shrouds with bowlines tied; since switching to eye splices we have had none.
Do you splice the jib sheets to the jib? I've haven't seen that... could certainly see less fouling on the shrouds.
Old 11-20-2009

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Good idea. Just don't make the mistake of trying to put a splice into an old used piece of line. It'll put you off splicing for life.
Knotty,
I've done that for practice, very hard and seldom works. But what a Challenge.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 11-20-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Knotty—

No one ever said he was very bright... Stubborn, yes, bright, no....
Quote:
Originally Posted by denby View Post
Knotty,
I've done that for practice, very hard and seldom works. But what a Challenge.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-20-2009

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Dawg, how you been? Haven't seen you around lately. Hope all is well you little runt.

BITE ME

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 11-21-2009

Hobos is on a distinguished road
Splicing Instructions