SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Splicing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/59888-splicing.html)

QuickMick 11-17-2009 12:07 PM

Splicing

I am replacing the man/jib halyards on my boat. i found a place with great deal on 3/8" low stretch 4400 rated (w/30% safety factor)... 280' for 99$, however they wanted to charge 30$/splice so I declined figuring I would either knot it or splice myself. ive figured out that i need a splicing fid, but wondered how hard it is to do and if you have any tips they would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Quinn

denby 11-17-2009 12:27 PM

Mick, What size boat do you have? Is the line double braid? Knothead is a rigger and has videos on youtube on how to splice double braid line. I'm sure he will be along soon to help you out.

QuickMick 11-17-2009 12:33 PM

30' sloop w/rolling furler.... i got 100' for the main 100' for jib, and the 80' is for new jib sheets.... currently halyards are rigged to mast, but i got the extra for rigging to the cockpit....poly double braid

denby 11-17-2009 12:50 PM

Mick, I have a 30' er and that's what I ran for lines. If you buy the Simons rope fid set it has directions. That is what I use, but watch Knotheads videos, its very helpful.

zz4gta 11-17-2009 01:03 PM

3/8" isn't hard to do at all. A core to core splice is fairly easy. And after you do it once, you'll save money on all the other splices you'd have to pay for otherwise.

KeelHaulin 11-17-2009 03:02 PM

Look up Brian Toss; he has a website and sells a tool called a splicing wand. I have not used one but I hear it is much easier than using the Samson fids (which I have a set of). If it is a tightly woven cover you will not be able to tuck the cover; you will have to use a method that leaves the cover un-tucked and then whip it to the base of the eye to finish it and lock the core splice.

Both Samson and New England Ropes have splicing instructions on their websites.

SVAuspicious 11-17-2009 05:04 PM

I have Brion Toss' small and medium wands and also his DVD splicing guide. I've had great luck splicing double braid. I'm moving on to Spectra next based on his guidance.

pdqaltair 11-17-2009 05:25 PM

And knots will work too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickMick (Post 542840)
I am replacing the man/jib halyards on my boat. i found a place with great deal on 3/8" low stretch 4400 rated (w/30% safety factor)... 280' for 99$, however they wanted to charge 30$/splice so I declined figuring I would either knot it or splice myself. ive figured out that i need a splicing fid, but wondered how hard it is to do and if you have any tips they would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Quinn

Knots are easy to re-do as the line wears.

Loss in strength matters not, since you size halyards for stretch.

Splices can jam in halyard blocks.

I know how to splice, but often prefer knots where there is no strong reason not to. With halyards, I prefer the ease of cutting off a foot every year or 2. On the other hand, rope to chain requires a splice with a windlass. Spinnaker sheets snag less.

MtHopeBay 11-17-2009 06:09 PM

search here at Sailnet

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickMick (Post 542840)

thanks
Quinn

Search here at sailnet for threads on eye splicing double braid. It's where I found the link to Norson splice. I've only tried a core to core splice as described by Sampson and New England Ropes websites once and couldn't keep track of all the marks I had to make on the core and braid. The Norson splice looks and is simple. I use a home made fid to push the cover braids around and pull the core out. It's just as pretty except not tapered. There's no tapering in the instructions on the site so I need to figure out how to do that to make the end result prettier. It should be strong and I aim to find out. I've done lines from 1/4 to 1/2 and they look and feel great.

I'm going to buy premade halyards from canjuntrading.ca because the price is too good to pass up. I want to splice lines onto the mainsheet traveler, the boom vang, the backstay adjuster, etc. A bowline works fine but an eye splice looks so much better.
Mike

tager 11-17-2009 06:54 PM

A racking seizing seems to work for me. We'll see how long it lasts. I prefer a figure eight for making eyes, looks better, easier to remember and untie, and stronger than a bowline.