Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-17-2009

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Splicing

I am replacing the man/jib halyards on my boat. i found a place with great deal on 3/8" low stretch 4400 rated (w/30% safety factor)... 280' for 99$, however they wanted to charge 30$/splice so I declined figuring I would either knot it or splice myself. ive figured out that i need a splicing fid, but wondered how hard it is to do and if you have any tips they would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Quinn

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-17-2009

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Mick, What size boat do you have? Is the line double braid? Knothead is a rigger and has videos on youtube on how to splice double braid line. I'm sure he will be along soon to help you out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 11-17-2009

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
30' sloop w/rolling furler.... i got 100' for the main 100' for jib, and the 80' is for new jib sheets.... currently halyards are rigged to mast, but i got the extra for rigging to the cockpit....poly double braid

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Last edited by QuickMick; 11-17-2009 at 12:35 PM. Reason: add info
Old 11-17-2009

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Mick, I have a 30' er and that's what I ran for lines. If you buy the Simons rope fid set it has directions. That is what I use, but watch Knotheads videos, its very helpful.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 11-17-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
3/8" isn't hard to do at all. A core to core splice is fairly easy. And after you do it once, you'll save money on all the other splices you'd have to pay for otherwise.
Old 11-17-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Look up Brian Toss; he has a website and sells a tool called a splicing wand. I have not used one but I hear it is much easier than using the Samson fids (which I have a set of). If it is a tightly woven cover you will not be able to tuck the cover; you will have to use a method that leaves the cover un-tucked and then whip it to the base of the eye to finish it and lock the core splice.

Both Samson and New England Ropes have splicing instructions on their websites.
Old 11-17-2009
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I have Brion Toss' small and medium wands and also his DVD splicing guide. I've had great luck splicing double braid. I'm moving on to Spectra next based on his guidance.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 11-17-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
And knots will work too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
I am replacing the man/jib halyards on my boat. i found a place with great deal on 3/8" low stretch 4400 rated (w/30% safety factor)... 280' for 99$, however they wanted to charge 30$/splice so I declined figuring I would either knot it or splice myself. ive figured out that i need a splicing fid, but wondered how hard it is to do and if you have any tips they would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Quinn
Knots are easy to re-do as the line wears.

Loss in strength matters not, since you size halyards for stretch.

Splices can jam in halyard blocks.

I know how to splice, but often prefer knots where there is no strong reason not to. With halyards, I prefer the ease of cutting off a foot every year or 2. On the other hand, rope to chain requires a splice with a windlass. Spinnaker sheets snag less.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 11-17-2009

MtHopeBay is on a distinguished road
search here at Sailnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post

thanks
Quinn
Search here at sailnet for threads on eye splicing double braid. It's where I found the link to Norson splice. I've only tried a core to core splice as described by Sampson and New England Ropes websites once and couldn't keep track of all the marks I had to make on the core and braid. The Norson splice looks and is simple. I use a home made fid to push the cover braids around and pull the core out. It's just as pretty except not tapered. There's no tapering in the instructions on the site so I need to figure out how to do that to make the end result prettier. It should be strong and I aim to find out. I've done lines from 1/4 to 1/2 and they look and feel great.

I'm going to buy premade halyards from canjuntrading.ca because the price is too good to pass up. I want to splice lines onto the mainsheet traveler, the boom vang, the backstay adjuster, etc. A bowline works fine but an eye splice looks so much better.
Mike
Old 11-17-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
A racking seizing seems to work for me. We'll see how long it lasts. I prefer a figure eight for making eyes, looks better, easier to remember and untie, and stronger than a bowline.