Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-20-2009

2Sheets2Wind is on a distinguished road
Have you ever seen a turnbuckle fail?

In the process of preparing to send my rigging in for replacement. Seems unnecessary to have to replace the turnbuckle bodies. In my almost 6 decades on this planet I have never heard of a turnbuckle body failure. Looks like the turnbuckle body cost is about 30% of the cost for our 19 footer.

Would appreciate your input.

Thank you.

Have a Great Day,
Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2009

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
Turnbuckles do fail. Although wire connection points are more prone to failure, turnbuckles also fail. Generally a small crack can be seen before total failure. You can check each turnbuckle and use them further, but I highly recommend replacing them also. If financially you cannot do it, try to replace them later.
Old 11-20-2009

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
I had a turnbuckle fail on an all-rod rigging 42' sloop which had been sailed hard in the Caribbean. My boat. A picture of the failed turnbuckle is on page 41 in Bill Seifert's excellent book, Offshore Sailing. Sorry I don't have a copy of that pic to post here.

Crevice corrosion can and does affect turnbuckles, chainplates, and other parts of your standing rigging.

Bill
Old 11-20-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
The only open body bronze turn buckle failures I have seen have mostly been due to thread issues.

I have however seen closed body stainless turnbuckles fail. This one is but one example..

I will say I have seen far more swage & wire failures than turnbuckles but that may just be coincidence..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 11-20-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I have had turn buckle bodies fail on smaller boats. One of the two rigs that I lost in my life was partially due to a failure of the the turnbuckle body on a small boat. The other resulted in a kink in the mast on a trimarran that I once owned. For some reason, I think turn buckle body failures are more common on smaller boats where the bodies are more likely to be cast and not forged or else tubular.

Jeff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 11-20-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
A lot of it also how much overbuilt things are when there sized out new

The standing rigging on my J24 is all the same size or bigger than my CAL 29 and most 25 foot boats i look at the rigging works but seems tiny

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 11-20-2009
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Had a stainless steel one crack on a 38 foot steel boat. No idea how old it was but the boat was 30 years old. Had all the others crack tested.

The boat had completed several long distance Atlantic passages to my knowledge.
Old 11-20-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I've seen turnbuckles fail because of crevice corrosion, mainly because they were taped and were made of stainless steel.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-20-2009
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Get one of these..if they all test OK I would reuse them.

Buy Magnaflux® SK416 Portable Spotcheck Kit

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 11-20-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
I can tell you that the turnbuckle on a J/24 will part explosively if you're tightening up the shroud when you think you're loosening it, well before the shroud has any problem. Don't ask me why I know this. :-)

Yes, stainless turnbuckles can and will fail from crevice corrosion after time and if they're 20+ years old, it might be time to either have them xrayed, dye checked, or simply replaced. On a 19'er there's a limited amount of damage you can get into by losing the rig, but still, it could really ruin a nice day on the water.