Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-21-2009
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Preparing to Haul for Winter

Hi all,
This is the end of our first year owning our Sabre 34, and the first time we'll be hauling. We bought her last year when she was on the hard, so we've gone through spring launch, but not fall haul.

I have lots of info on actually winterizing, and that's not what I'm asking about here.

I just want to make sure we're sufficiently prepared to actually haul the boat--I don't want to be "that guy" at the boat yard (totally unprepared to haul).

Here's the current plan:
- Dinghy and outboard off the boat, since they'd be in the way when we haul
- Pump out thoroughly (flushing out with water and re-pumping)
- Top off the fuel tank and add stabilizer.
- Empty most of the water out of the fresh water tanks, and drain the rest of it when I winterize on the hard
- At the yard, just before hauling, drop the genoa from the roller furling and remove the main from the boom. If time permits, remove the dodger, but of course we can do it on the hard too.

Understanding that there is much to do to actually winterize, is there anything else I need to be aware of or do before we haul?

Thanks as always for your help!
-J
Old 11-21-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Some yards require that propane tanks be removed in dry storage. Depending how large yours are, it can be easier to do that when the boat's at the dock so you don't have to balance on a ladder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2009
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Some yards require that propane tanks be removed in dry storage. Depending how large yours are, it can be easier to do that when the boat's at the dock so you don't have to balance on a ladder.
Hi John,
My boat has CNG, a single tank which is mostly empty, but I'm sure it's heavy. Not sure about the yard policy, but I suppose it would be worth removing it at the dock simply because I need to get it refilled ANYway. Good idea--thanks!
-J
Old 11-21-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
We always change the oil before hauling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-21-2009
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
We always change the oil before hauling.
I'll probably do that after she's on the hard, along with adding antifreeze to the raw water system, and other winterization activities. Of course, no reason one can't change the oil before hauling.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2009
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Do it in the water so that you can run the engine and warm the oil up. It's real hard to suck the oil out if it's cold. Don't wait until she's on the hard!!

Old 11-21-2009

82Sabre34 is on a distinguished road
I agree, change your oil before the haul-out. Depending where you are, you could also winterize the engine before the haul-out. If you can get towed to the haul-out, it sure simplifies the process when you're on the hard. I also have a Sabre 34 (1982 MkI) and have CNG instead of propane. CNG has never been an issue for winter storage. I would also go ahead and fully drain the water tanks and then pump antifreeze through the water lines until the pink stuff comes out the faucets, and pump some antifreeze through the head to ensure your waste lines don't have any water in them.

Make sure your boatyard blocks your boat level or bow up to ensure that water drains through your cockpit scuppers. Level helps the deck scuppers drain whatever accumulates on deck.

Good luck, and if you are in the Annapolis or Deale area, send me a PM.
Old 11-21-2009
Unpaid Intern

Thanks for the tips. I can't winterize the engine before haul-out, because the boat yard is not where I keep the boat. So I need the engine to get to the yard. But the other stuff I could do beforehand and may indeed do. Thanks again.
Old 11-21-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
Thanks for the tips. I can't winterize the engine before haul-out, because the boat yard is not where I keep the boat. So I need the engine to get to the yard. But the other stuff I could do beforehand and may indeed do. Thanks again.
Is there any way the haul-out yard could give you a few hours in the water so you can winterize the engine? It's so much easier/better to do while in the water and a major hassle when out. Many marinas have a "stand-by" slip immediately adjacent to the travel lift.

If you do it after haul-out, you'll need a water source in order to run the engine to warm the oil, and after the oil is changed to circulate the fresh oil over the engine parts for winter lay-up. Also, check carefully under the boat to make sure there are no jackstand pads or support chains where they could cause trouble while the engine runs or if the transmission inadvertently engages.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT