Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-23-2009

diamondmyk is on a distinguished road
Interior Paint Suggestions

Hello,

I'm restoring an old fiberglass sailboat ( DIY ) and I want to paint the bare interior hull / bilge and I'm looking for suggestions on what paint to use. Basically, there was some mold issues and after cleaning everything out, I want to seal up some of the wood ( I removed most of the interior and only have bulkheads left ) and fiberglass. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mike "Mo" - Aimless Destiny
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Interlux Brightsides and their Bilgekote versions seem to work quite well and are reasonably priced, relatively speaking. Strong fumes though, so make sure you're ventilating as best you can... using this stuff in lockers and lazarettes gets pretty smelly. Their Interdeck is an effective non skid too but difficult to keep clean.

We've also had success inside the boat with some of the generic "liquid plastic" paints offered by Home Hardware/Home Depot etc at some minor cost savings.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-23-2009

Excellent! Thanks!!!!!!
Old 11-23-2009

huguley3 is on a distinguished road
We used enamel paint on our intererior fiberglass and it is adhering quite well. The original plan was to use gelcoat and leave the boat for a week but the cost and hassle had us choose plain old paint.

We used some rustoleum brand that is supposed to be geared to marine applications. i talked to a guy here in the marina who said it does not really matter though. Enamel paint is enamel paint.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
30' Islander Bahama
Old 11-23-2009

pedcab is on a distinguished road
Why is there the common belief that only marine products can provide marine grade finishes, apearances and durabilities?

Listed bellow are a couple of products I´ve been using in Fulô's maintenance since I own it with nothing to report that other "marine brands" wouldn´t also have to:

- Hull Coating: CIN ACRTYTHANE polyurethane based enamel. This paint was originally designed to paint weather exposed industrial machinery. There are a couple of folks here in Alhandra that have keept their ACRYTHANE coatings in mint condition for up to 5 years... Not bad for a "non marine" paint being sold at about 40€ per 3,5L kits...

Inner cabin coating: Matte synthetic enamel from any DYI store... We have the habit of using it down there. Why? Well, because it has been holding on to our wooden and GRP living spaces since forever and because at 10€/750mL we find it acessible to our starved pouches...

Sealant: Sikaflex 11FC+, another adaptation. 11FC+ is used primarily for house construction and other masonry works. One day a fellow remembered to try it on boats and voilá: cheap marine polyurethane sealant for everyone!

I remember countless other examples that would surely be tedious to decribe in detail but, just to make my point, one should't buy something (and pay accordingly lots more for it) just because it has a sailingboat painted on the can. There are lots of proper quality materials hanging arround the DIY stores for pickers to get and, at least this is my policy, if I can spare 10€ in paint (without jeopardizing relyability) I can spend ten more on a sail or on a new main sheet, and I sure prefer to be caught arround in a brand new set of North Sails than on a deck painted with Hempel's Super Ultra GTO deck paint...

Regards!

Pedro Cabral

Alhandra, Portugal.

Portugal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-23-2009

Architeuthis is on a distinguished road
Marine paint only seems expensive when buying in season and at retail price so best to wait for sales. I bought Bilgekote because it was cheaper than enamel paint at the paint store. After using it I really like it, though I do suspect it is nothing more than a high quality non-marine paint.

I know of a few folks who use only household type stuff on their boat and much of it seems to work quite well, some not so well, LOL.
Old 11-23-2009

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm just looking for functional and cost effective. I'd love to have an unlimited budget, but if I did, I probably wouldn't have bought a fixer-upper boat.
Old 11-23-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Don't be afraid to use latex housepaint on the interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondmyk View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm just looking for functional and cost effective. I'd love to have an unlimited budget, but if I did, I probably wouldn't have bought a fixer-upper boat.
I did in my last boat ans was quite please. My current boat was into 6 figures, and the paint inside lockers was latex and doing very well, thank you.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 11-23-2009

RobertKWFL is on a distinguished road
An excellent choice on a budget is an alkyd enamel such as Benjamin Moore's Porch & Floor paint. I used it on the interior of my previous boat with great success, and I'm getting ready to do my current boat with it too. As far as I can tell it's the best option unless you go to the much more expensive one- and two-part polyurethane boat paints. Very easy to apply, generally doesn't need a primer, and can be tinted to any color.
Old 11-23-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I wouldn't use any paint in the bilge... I would use Interprotect 2000E instead. Most paints are not designed to work in the conditions usually found in most boat bilges, which are usually a bit on the wet side.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.