Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-23-2009
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Is the Seafoam essentially the same as the Starbrite product -Star-tron which I have a bottle of and linked to above?

I've got the carb apart right now - and pulled the idle jet - it looks clean as does everything else. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Could the problem stem from something entirely different?

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2009
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Check the float and needle valve (especially the seat) too.

Are you sure that the gunk didn't just travel up inside the jet? I use a piece of wire wrap wire (available from RadioShack) to push through the jets, and all of the little holes in them whenever I pull one. At the risk of getting critiqued, I admit that I then spray the carb bowl with WD40 to help keep water out until I put the motor back in service. (WD40=Water Displacement formula 40)
Old 11-23-2009
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

eherlihy,

My manual says essentially the same thing but goes on to say "Do not use gasoline that contains more than 10% ethanol or more than 5% methanol."

So I guess rum is out - or strictly for Captains use.

I'm at a loss here about what to do to get the thing going initially - like now - so I can get to shore and get some clean non-inebriated gasoline.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-23-2009
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

Quote:
Check the float and needle valve (especially the seat) too.
Well, it's apart - I'll check that out right now.

Thanks. - It's like having your own mechanics sitting in your living room advising you. Pour yourselves your favorite libation - and put it on my account.

Old 11-23-2009
Learning the HARD way...

... also I dug into the MY2007 9.8 owners manual, and found much the same disclaimer on Pg 8.
http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/own..._18B2_4str.pdf
Old 11-23-2009
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandSusanMacDonald View Post
Pour yourselves your favorite libation - and put it on my account.
WooHoo!! - a round of Blanton's single cask! Make that a double!!

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 11-23-2009
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
We had to pull & drain several carbs this year as the ethanol turned to water, resulting in the same symptoms as your describing. Once everything was cleaned & reassembled they were up & running like new.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 11-23-2009
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

Well, that's it. One for the engine. None for Cap'n Larry. I hang my head in defeat. They DO not make rum fast enough.

I put it back together - only dropped one part into the water - a little plastic spacer between the carburetor and the manifold. It didn't seem to make a difference- though I'm sure it's there for some reason. But I fired it up and it still runs fast but stalls when it runs slowly. I can't see any dirt at all in the thing. But, not being a mechanic, I've got little with which to compare it .

I'll be taking it to a mechanic. And in the meantime we'll just swim ashore.

How do they clean those things - drop it in a bucket of carbon tetrachloride? Steam? Ultrasonic? Cursing at it really loud? That doesn't work - I just tried it. You may have heard me. I don't care where you are - those sailor words were from me.

Thank you, Gentlemen. I really appreciate your input. Take care, and please help me blow up E.P.A. headquarters for their cursed ethanol laced gasoline.

Old 11-23-2009
Learning the HARD way...

That plastic spacer COULD have been part of the intake manifold.

Slightly off topic: I was laid-off last year, so in October of this year I drove my Toyota truck (V6) from MA to FL to re-do my parents kitchen. I usually fill the truck when it gets below 1/4 tank, and check the mileage (my wife says that I'm retentive). Along the way I averaged 20-21MPG. This matched what I typically got around home.

While in FL, after I filled my tank, I noticed a sign that the service station that said that they would have up to 10% ethanol in the fuel. Fuel mileage in the truck dropped to 16.xxxMPG! The next tank full gave me 17.xxx, and the next 18.xxx.... I'm finally back to 20.xxx

I now actively avoid ethanol, at least when I can.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 11-23-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-23-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandSusanMacDonald View Post
I'll be taking it to a mechanic. And in the meantime we'll just swim ashore.
Larry,

Is the idle jet on the oars broken too?

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT