Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-23-2009
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Hi, John,

I'm too damned old to row against the current in St. Augustine. You could almost waterski behind an anchored boat here! The "swim ashore" comment was just sarcasm.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2009
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
a 3.9 HP volvo penta outboard of mine would run fine at high speed , but after a while at low speed it would stop. the spark plug would carbon up till it would not fire. i solved this by putting in a hotter running plug and narrowing the idle jet by putting a very small wire in it to restrict the flow. the float level was OK so that was not the problem.
Old 11-23-2009

Michael K is on a distinguished road
While my situation involves a 2000 9.9 Yamaha I have been suffering the same symptoms. Taking the carb off and apart is almost an effortless exercise now that I've done it so many times. I've actually gotten to the point where I have a second carb that I swap with the original; this gives me a functional outboard at almost all times -- pretty important as it serves as my sailboat's auxillary.

Because my outboard is older, I've reached the point where the rubber choke diaphram has begun to deteriorate and gas can leak out from the carb. This has actually happened with both carbs. I have found that coating the diaphram with gas-resistant glue remedies the problem. I am using "Seal All" adhesive available from Ace Hardware.

In addition to using Seafoam and running the carb dry after each use, recently I've been spraying a bit of Gumout Carb Cleaner into the air intake before the engine dies. I cannot say if this practice is detrimental over the long term but it does seem to ensure easier starting after sitting for a week or more. Hope this helps!
Old 11-23-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Part of the problem with ethanol blend fuels is that ethanol is used as the octane booster and if the gasoline gets about 1.5% water in it by volume, the ethanol/water mixture will separate out and leave the gasoline with an octane of about 82... not good for your engine.

Also, since ethanol acts as a fuel oxygenator, it causes you to lose some MPG, since it has effectively replaced the carbon and hydrogen found in non-ethanol blend gasoline with oxygen. This means you're paying more for the gasoline and getting fewer miles out of it, because you're paying for oxygen, which was free with the older MTBE blends.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-24-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Well, I see you have a Morgan.
I am guessing that it is diesel powered and gasoline is a second source of power.
If your gasoline is much over six weeks old it is probably weak and may be causing your idling problem.
Fresh gasoline may be the cure for your problem.

A few years ago there was a discussion about alcohol in gasoline in Florida.
As I remember the alcohol content was as high as 15 to 20%.
Percentages as high as these would violate most of the manufacturers warranties or outboard engines.

You don't really seem to have a dirty problem.

Some things you can try are fresh gas, Seafoam, Stabil or just add two stroke oil at a rate of a hundred to one.

Why two stroke oil, because I have never seen a two-stroke metal gas tank that was rusted nor carburetors that were badly fouled.

I always fill my Mac gas tank(which holds 7 1/2 gallons) whenever I take it out and sometimes I will return 7 gallons.

I use is premix in everything, the tow truck, a lawnmower, the leaf blower, a power washer and they all run fine and don't foul the spark plugs.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 11-24-2009
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Deja Vu - all over again...

I thought that this problem seemed familliar... Look here to see how another Tohatsu owner solved the SAME PROBLEM on a 2 stroke ... And, some great advice .

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 11-24-2009
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Thanks again, eherlihy. That was an informative thread. Now I know how I should clean the carb. I got a can of carb cleaner and as soon as the Turkey Day thing is over, I'll spend some time on the little monster and get some fresh fuel - if I can find a place to dump the old. Anybody up for an instant weiny roast?

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

Old 11-24-2009
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road
Carb replacement

Although I can't seem to find the posting, someone on the trailersailor board came up with another thought. I don't remember all the details but it seems that Tohatsu began having more problems when they had to go to a different carb to meet EPA regs. (probably different jets etc) He found that by ordering the earlier model carb, it seemed to have eliminated the current problem.

I'm not suggesting to violate any Federal laws of course, I'm just saying...
Old 11-25-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough

I am a bit of a rebel BUT i just drain the fuel and have NO issues storing the tank over the winter (its a tosh in a mercury skin ) a bit older 2 star and less fussy

And i have asked the little 4hp beast to do some hard things like move and 8000# Cal 29

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 11-25-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
An up date---

Senators Introduce Mid-Level Ethanol Bill to Protect Boaters, Consumers
Wednesday, September 30, 2009 12:00:00 AM
Last updated: Thursday, October 01, 2009 4:34:00 PM

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Senators Susan Collins (R-Maine), Ben Cardin (D-MD), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) and Mary Landrieu (D-LA) on Sept. 14 introduced strong legislation designed to protect consumers, the environment and manufacturers from the introduction of intermediate “mid-level” ethanol blends in gasoline, such as the currently prohibited 15-percent ethanol blend called E15.

Photo by: yachtphotography.com
Science First — S. 1666 is designed to ensure fuel blends are safe and efficient.

The Clean Air Act now sets the maximum permitted ethanol level in gasoline at 10 percent; however, a consortium of ethanol producers called Growth Energy is petitioning the EPA for a waiver to allow blends of up to 15 percent in all gasoline sold -- including marine fuels.

S.1666, the “Mid-Level Ethanol Blends Act of 2009,” would require that new fuels introduced into the marketplace be compatible with the inventory of on-road and non-road gasoline engines -- including boat engines -- currently in use nationwide.

Taking a “science-first” approach, S. 1666 is designed to protect consumers with marine engines, outdoor power equipment and other non-road engines, as well as automobiles. The bill would require that EPA’s Science Advisory Board study the compatibility of mid-level ethanol fuel blends with current engines before a waiver can be granted. The study would also include a comprehensive analysis of available independent scientific evidence on the compatibility of mid-level ethanol fuels with the emission requirements of the CAA and the operability of engines, among other things.

“During these difficult economic times, equipment damage due to ethanol-gasoline fuel blends only adds to the many challenges facing our nation’s farmers, fishermen, independent woodsmen and recreational industry,” Sen. Collins said. “As we pursue strategies to lessen our dependence on foreign oil, we must also take action to ensure that ethanol fuel blends are safe and efficient for small engines.”

“Ethanol simply burns differently than gasoline,” explained Sen. Cardin, a member of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee. “I fully support the development of biofuels to help cure the U.S. of its dependence on foreign oil -- but we need to make such a transition in a way that helps, not hurts, commercial and recreational equipment, as well as the environment.

“We need to let good science guide us in making sure that we are getting the clean air benefits and engine performance that boaters, lawn care companies and others who rely on smaller engines deserve,” he added.

NMMA President Thom Dammrich applauded the senators for their introduction of a common-sense bill that addresses the issue of ethanol-blend fuels, and the numerous complaints of boaters who have already sustained major damage to their fuel tanks, fuel system components and engines through the use of existing ethanol fuel blends.

“This legislation validates a science-first approach to ethanol policy and shines the spotlight on the myriad issues associated with hasty attempts by ethanol advocates to introduce mid-level ethanol blends into the marketplace,” Dammrich said.

NMMA has raised serious concerns about the potential impacts of mid-level ethanol blends on recreational marine engines and boats, including increased air emissions, performance and durability issues, as well as warranty concerns. No recreational marine engines, fuel systems or boats are currently designed, calibrated, certified or warranted to run on any fuel with more than 10 percent ethanol.
S. 1666 is supported by a wide and diverse coalition of organizations, including environmental groups, engine manufacturers, food groups, consumer groups and refiners.

This article first appeared in the September 2009 issue of The Log Newspaper. All or parts of the information contained in this article might be outdated.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.