SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   New Anchor (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/60148-new-anchor.html)

night0wl 11-27-2009 01:44 AM

New Anchor

Ok - not to dredge up another Rocna vs Manson Supreme debate...but I need to. I noticed my searches for older threads on the topic reference the pricing being very high on Rocnas due to the lack of distributorship. Well, I think this is less relevant since both are now carried at our local Worst Marine...which is having some pretty good sales of late. I'm able to get 25% off retail price plus I have a ton of those reward certs to use up or I lose 'em.

Anyway, from the dealership, my boat came with a Lewmar Claw which works...but looks and feels undersized for long range duty.

I have a Beneteau 343 which seems to fall between sizing recommendations for these anchors. For this boat, which is ~12,000 lbs displacement on specs...which would be the more appropriate anchor:

1) Mancon Supreme 35 (35 lb)...about $400 shipped
2) Rocna 15 (15kg/33lb)...about $420 shipped
3) Larger, sized up version of either of those anchors???

Where my calculations are failing me is in the area of how to factor the additional weight of coastal and eventually long term cruising will place on my boat. As it stands, I still have about 3 inches of bottom paint showing at my waterline. But I'm sure that will change as I finish fitting out my boat with the arch, EU2000 generator, radar, windgen, etc, etc, etc (as smoke rises from my check book).

Stillraining 11-27-2009 01:52 AM

Inspect them side by side and make a determination on build quality for your self.... that you can live with and feel good about the decition you made...there is little if any performance difference between the two...Both are fantastic anchors.

night0wl 11-27-2009 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stillraining (Post 545984)
Inspect them side by side and make a determination on build quality for your self.... that you can live with and feel good about the decition you made...there is little if any performance difference between the two...Both are fantastic anchors.

My question is more on proper sizing than quality. I agree - the performance on either is rock solid, but I want to make sure that I've given the anchor the best chance at success so to speak...by not completely overburdening it. All the while, not busting my bank account as the next size up on both of these represents a big jump in price...particularly the Rocna.

JohnRPollard 11-27-2009 06:57 AM

I don't think there's any significant difference between the Rocna 33 and Manson 35. So that comes down to price/preference.

But what is the weight of the next size up in both Rocna/Manson?

And do you have a windlass?

sailingdog 11-27-2009 08:53 AM

If the price difference is only $20, I'd highly recommend going with the Rocna. The anchor is more robustly built than the Manson Supreme.

JRP—

The next size up is a Rocna 20 or Manson Supreme 45... 44 lbs and 45 lbs respectively.

JohnRPollard 11-27-2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 546039)
The next size up is a Rocna 20 or Manson Supreme 45... 44 lbs and 45 lbs respectively.

That is a big leap in size/weight. Very much in the territory where a windlass assist would be helpful.

These old-fashioned;) Rocna-style anchors claim more holding power for their size/weight compared to similar size competitors. I would think that Nightowl could manage with one that is no heavier than his Bruce/Claw (although he did not mention its weight).

AdamLein 11-27-2009 11:46 AM

I think the cardinal rule for otherwise identical anchors is, go with the heaviest anchor you can handle. So if you have no preference for build quality and you don't think that extra 2 lbs is going to break your back, might as well go for it.

night0wl 11-27-2009 12:54 PM

Sorry for the late response folks...I've been with family all morning. Yes, I do in fact have a windlass. Lewmar Concept One...with the vertical capstan.

night0wl 11-27-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRPollard (Post 546010)
I don't think there's any significant difference between the Rocna 33 and Manson 35. So that comes down to price/preference.

But what is the weight of the next size up in both Rocna/Manson?

And do you have a windlass?

Yes, I've heard performance pound for pound on these anchors is similar...but my question is more along the lines of whether either of these anchors is sized right...for the boat I have.

I would like some feedback from people that have bought these next-gen anchors in terms of size per loa and cruising weight.

I dont trust those sizing charts and simply sizing up is not always appropriate as the bigger anchors are troublesome fits on bow rollers

JohnRPollard 11-27-2009 01:46 PM

What weight claw are you using now?

Our boats have similar displacement. I would spec the 33/35 Rocna/Manson.

At some point, going too large for the working anchor becomes a hassle and liability. The 33/35 is still manageable if the windlass fails, and is less likely to damage the boat or cause an injury. You can carry a second anchor to use in series when dire conditions are predicted, or stow a larger storm anchor below.