Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-27-2009

WheresTheBrakes is on a distinguished road
Starwind 22 trailer questions

I am working on converting a powerboat trailer into a trailer for a Starwind 22..

I have a aluminum twin torsion axle powerboat trailer for a slightly more than 25' fishing boat (est. 6000#), and a Starwind 22, (that I love and am hauling out for the winter in SC)..

If anyone has done anything similar I'd love to hear some advice !

Do you have any tips, or anything surprising that you learned while you were trying to fit the boat to the trailer ?

Does the majority of the weight rest on the front of the swing keel, with the bunks just serving to keep the boat upright ??

What is your ballpark tongue weight ?

How wide apart are your bunks, and how high are they from the spot that the keel rests ??

Any help you could give me would be great !!

I know I'll have to in and out at the ramp a few times, and probably get in the water with her, but any advise will surely cut down on the need for both !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------
1984 Starwind 22
"Julianne"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2009

75R20 is on a distinguished road
Question

While I don't claim to be an engineer, I'll speak to my trailer and how my boat sits on it. I'm currently tearing down the trailer for my boat to have it galvinized so I'm very familer with it. My boat is a 20' sailboat weighing 1500 lbs. with 500 lbs. of lead inside the keel and a swing down centerboard.
My boat, when on the trailer rests all of its weight on 4 8" rollers on the keel. The trailer uses bunks (fixed in front) that swing out at the rear of the trailer to allow for the boat to enter/leave the trailer when launching/recovering at the ramp. While this is the way the boat was set-up on the trailer from the factory in 1975, people that have replaced their trailers have had to go to rollers that rest on the hull and no support on the keel, and that seems to work, but I believe that suporting the keel is best based on the original delivered configuration.
Goood Luck

Kary
SV Mariah #49080
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook