Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-30-2009

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
atomic bomb

HIP HIP HOORAY! After coil/condenser/points/plugs and 8 hours with a qtip and my carburator, my atomic 4 is now running and sounding good.
two new problems... i couldnt find the darn switch that lets exhaust/h20 return exit the boat so the exhaust filled the cabin on the test run. anyone know where that valve is, and if it is open and im still having trouble the next step?

also the previous owner had let the transmission/throttle control cables fail, and they need replaced. any idea on the best place to get these? my boat is a 30', so im thinking 20' should be enough to loop the cables under the cockpit from console to engine. sound reasonable?

thank you very much for your ideas, this place is the best thing going.

Quinn

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well

There should be a seacock to allow rawwater into the pump IF this was closed you may have melted the exaust hose as thats about the only way this should happen as there is NO out valve

You have to measure the cables as they could have been run many ways between the control and motor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-30-2009
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
After what tommays said, I hope you didn't run her for long.
Old 11-30-2009

just for a minute

just for a minute to make sure we had her fixed.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 11-30-2009

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
The transmission cable has to be custom made. Kent at Moyer Marine has the phone number of a company that has made several for A-4 owners, and they've been given a big thumbs up. If I had the number handy, I'd give it to you... but...
Old 11-30-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Congrats on getting the A4 bomb running!
As noted by Tom Mays there should be a seacock that needs to be opened to allow cooling water to enter the engine. It is probably just as well it was closed as the water would have likely ended up inside your boat along with the carbon monoxide exhaust gases. The water pump should be on the opposite side of the engine from the carb, towards the back. Find the hose attached to the water pump and follow it to its thru-hull. You may want to undo the 2 hose clamps (there should be 2 below the water line) on the water intake hose and make sure you can get water to the pump, then re-attach. Your water pump will likely want a new impeller as well.
The more serious problem is the exhaust leaking into the cabin. Too much exposure to CO (carbon monoxide) can kill you. Locate the source of the exhaust leak. You may need to replace some of the fittings or the entire exhaust system. Read this article: Select a Moyer Marine exchange engine
Regarding the transmission control cable call Ken or Don at Moyer Parts: 610.421.4436 410.810.8921 as Mr. Sailhog has advocated.
Ka-ching, ka-ching (sounds of a cash register drawer closing on your money).

Everybody has one:

Last edited by CalebD; 11-30-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: more
Old 11-30-2009

Another thing when i was watching the PO overheat my motor it had wicked blow-by coming out of the breather cap(LOT OF SMOKE) that went back to normal when we restored water flow

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

Old 12-01-2009

after the introduction of so much marvel mystery in the process i only hope that the 'exhaust' was just residual oil from the tune up burning off. i fired her again, w/much much less of what appeared to be exhaust on the inital start. heck, she has been sitting for 3-5 years w/no tlc...

good point on the impeller, ive got a new one handy!

next question... found throttle cable to be good, just rigged to the seesaw style lever on the helm as opposed to the recessed controls... the control cable to shifter is the next issue. looking at the shifter it appears that the old cable has some funky corrosion on it, and the housing that leads it under the cockpit is fouled. what do you think? clean it up the best i can and run a new one? thats all ive come up with...

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 12-01-2009

I would clean it UP as its a custom item ,Just spoke to Moyer today about it when i ordered some gaskets

I am taking a don't spend money until i am sure its BROKE as 1000 hear and a 1000 there pretty soon i could have bought a used diesel

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

Old 12-01-2009

so close but yet so far

the problem is that when i climbed down into the lazz, i found the shift control cable to have been broken... shredded right through, so i doubt i can fix or splice that baby. can i not just order teleflex cables sized properly? looks like a 30$ solution vs. some custom job. more custom=more money.... lol....

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.