Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-01-2009

71Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
Outboard or not...

I've pretty much got everything ready to install a Yamaha 25hp on my Irwin 32. I had made the decision to remove the inboard, mostly because I hate the maintenance of the prop and its shaft.

I knew the pluses and minuses (the prop coming out of the water), but was determined anyway.

Now I'm starting to think I ought to go ahead with the outboard install, but wait to see how much the prop comes out of the water.

You can see what I've done so far here: see top link in sig...

It pretty wild I admit, but I am going to reinforce the transom with G10 fiber epoxy board......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2009
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Aside from all the obvious negatives in terms of cost and the boat operation, have you figured out how big a hit you'll take in the reduced value of the boat?

Even if you sccessfully minimize the operational negatives, so they arn't fatal...my bet is you'll end up with a boat with almost no market value to speak of...shades of DistantStar.
Old 12-01-2009

The only value of the boat is to me. I don't buy and sell vehicles. I keep them for very long periods of time and do what I want with them.

....and I'll really be adding value with solar and desalination + a honda powered generator.....even more stuff.

Old 12-01-2009

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road
She's a pretty boat. But an outboard on the stern will do a lot to help take care of that.

Plus, she was designed for an inboard auxiliary engine. An outboard on the stern of a boat that wasn't intended for one is an inferior setup in every way I can think of - weight distribution, performance, appearance, not to mention I hope you're really really sure about your reinforcement. That's a lot of weight to be hanging out there at an angle from a part of the boat that wasn't designed to support it.

Hope you change your mind and stick with the inboard, but either way, keep us posted. I'm curious to see how it'll turn out.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
Old 12-01-2009

Thanks for the input. The engine I purchased weighs only 112LBs. I picked it for that reason, plus the consumer reviews....all the owners loved it. This is a tough ol' boat with a thick one piece hand layed hull, and I picked IT with that in mind. The G10 fiber-epoxy board I'm using to reinforce the transom with is the best out there and will epoxy in with West System 2 part epoxy....also reinforcing the corners of the transom. Adding 130LBs total is nothing, very little weight compared to the mainsail stay that is attached to the top of the transom.......

I've thought all this out.

The luff cars on the Harken "big boat track" are rated to 600LBs a piece and I'm hanging the engine with 4 of them....considering the torque and other forces.

Last edited by 71Irwin32; 12-01-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-01-2009

bluwateronly is on a distinguished road
Having had boats with both. No way would I want enother outboard boat. There are many reasons and you have stated a few. Yes, a repower is very expensive if you don't diy and alot more work either way. A boat that is not designed for that much weight on stern will never sail right have poor underpower performance etc,etc. For what it's worth the hard expensive and time consuming way is usally the best way to go, learned from experience. Bottom line it's your boat and do what you want, just don't expect an outboard to be an inboard Another thing you might not of thought about is that outboards are targets for theives, sad but true.
Old 12-01-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well

Your doing a nice job on the mount BUT the boat seems in such good condition in the Pictures to go outboard ?

You really dont need 25 HP as and outboard can use a high thrust prop without reguard to drag in the water the motor in this picture (20") was JUST enough in the water to pass over oil tanker wakes without issue 2' ?

The new 25" super long shafts do the best job of keeping the prop in the water

I rescued this CAL 29 and moved it over 12 miles at 4.5 knots with 4HP

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 12-01-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
I have no doubt that you are going to install the outboard regardless, but if the only reason you are going from inboard to outboard is shaft and prop maintenance, you are making a big mistake. On my previous boat, a 28 ft. sloop, I initially ordered it with a factory installed outboard mount to save some money by not buying the more expensive inboard. I quickly saw the real difference, and immediately changed that order to the inboard diesel that the company had advised me to get after seeing the following. I was at a July 4 event wherein a number of boats were tied up against a bulkhead. The weather turned and the water became really choppy, causing the boats to bang on the bulkhead inspite of fenders. A Cape Dory 26 with outboard tried to maneuver away...it was impossible, with the outboard popping in and out of the water, overreving each time and never developing enough thrust to move the boat successfully. Another boat, a 28 ft. Islander with inboard diesel, went along side the Cape Dory, and the crews tied to two boats together, beam to beam. Then with very little effort, that little diesel just chugged away with both boats, fully under control. And if you plan to add desalination, it suggests that you will be in open ocean at some point. You'll need that additional power and ability to keep the prop in the water at all times. Stay with the inboard.
Old 12-01-2009

25"? I already bought the engine...Yamaha 25 ELR. I have decided to keep the engine in...just incase I hate the outboard, can always sell it.

The whole idea of the big boat track and travelers is so I can pull the engine way out of the water. Cover it, wash it down and.....low maintenance as far as corrosion goes. I don't like needing to maintain (send a diver down 4 time a year) to clean and check the zinc on the shaft.

I agree that all the points are valid. I started sailing at 16 in Santa Barbara. I'm 53 now and I really consider this to be a sailboat and as such the only reason for an engine is to get in and out of the harbor. I DO realize that there are unforseen circumstances where the inboard would be very appreciated.......

Last edited by 71Irwin32; 12-01-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2009
SV Déjàlà

braidmike is on a distinguished road
Nice to see another 'experimenter'! I have no doubt that all the concerns raised are valid and well meant, but let me offer a word of encouragement. I move a 14000# 35' sailboat in and out of the marina with an electric outboard. Rather than install it all on the outside, I built an outboard well in the aft lazzrette. It's lifted up out of the water with the topping lift rigged to the backstay, and mounted to a custom built bracket and covered with sunbrella.
Resale value? probably not too much worse than the A4 it replaced! And a whole lot less trouble...
Claw me off a lee shore in a gale: not gonna do it.
Bounce out of the water if rough: Yep.
Me: try to stay out of those situations.
Advantages: No fuel problems. No water growing wierd things in the fuel. No A4 carburetor! No prop drag when sailing. Quiet! Clean! Room for more people friendly items in the boat where a smelly engine used to live.
I also left the old engine in for a while to make sure it all worked. Once sea (bay!) trials were done, out came the Atomic to a new owner on Ebay
Anyways, out of the hundred strange looks you'll get on the dock, once in a while someone shows up to marvel at your backyard engineering ability!