SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Campbell Sailor Brand Prop Question (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/60278-campbell-sailor-brand-prop-question.html)

dacap06 12-03-2009 01:40 PM

Campbell Sailor Brand Prop Question

Maine Sail's strong endorsement of the Campbell Sailor brand of propellor (see 3-blade fixed prop recommendations), complete with impressive drag measurements, was compelling and started me thinking about replacing the prop on Tranquility Base.

However, I have one more question for CS owners: how well does the Campbell Sailor on your boat back down? I have avoided folding propellers because they compromise reverse thrust, and I wonder whether a propeller that derives part of its forward thrust from its wing-like cross section compromises it also.

So how well do the Campbell Sailor two and three-blade propellers back down in comparison to propellers that do not have a wing-shaped blade? What about in comparison to feathering propellers?

Maine Sail 12-03-2009 02:05 PM

I can't comment on the two blade CS but my three blade has more bite and better stopping/backing than my Michigan three blade did. Tough I don't use it much for docking when I come into the dock and hit reverse it stops the 17,000 boat well.

Backing sailboats is something that takes practice. A prop will generally only make a marginal difference. Also some gear boxes have a different ratio in reverse..

fordo 12-03-2009 02:14 PM

When I repowered my Tartan 30 I changed from the 2 blade to a three blade Campbell Sailor. Reverse is fine; the prop seems to make no difference. I have no experience with folding props so I can't say about them...

winddancer88 12-03-2009 08:41 PM

I switched to a Campbell Sailor a few years ago and noticed more power, and along with that more prop walk. That wasn't a bad thing -- the prop walk is strong enough now I can make use of it.

dacap06 12-04-2009 10:05 AM

Thanks, folks. Those replies really helped me with my decision.

DaCAP

cutterorient 12-05-2009 12:42 AM

I replaced a Luke feathering - for sale by the way - with the CS as I wanted a single piece of metal for my prop in the spirit of keeping it simple. I am very satisfied with it and Norm is a great help. Nice thrust. As far a reverse is concerned my boat is a wreck going backwards so I avoid it. I find it easier to just push it out of the slip despite her weight. Pulling into a slip I need to come in hotter than others to be able to still steer and the reverse thrust is more than adequate. Also, the coating that it comes with from the factory is superb at repelling barnacles.

asdf38 04-29-2013 08:56 PM

Re: Campbell Sailor Brand Prop Question

Question - is West by Northwest THE place to get the Campbell Sailor or is "Campbell Sailor" a type of prop which is available from multiple places?

My local prop shop wants to sell me a thin blad "sailor" prop and it seems there is a chance it's the same thing. Any chance this is the case or do I have to go with west by northwest - I don't have a problem doing it it's just the local shop has it's advantages.

Faster 04-29-2013 08:59 PM

I think the true "Campbell" prop is only made in BC... there may well be 'knock offs' around.

Waltthesalt 04-29-2013 09:50 PM

You can get thin bladed props from providers like Michigan Wheel's Sailer. These have a standard cross section they just have less blade area and hence less drag than a wider blade. The Campbell has a cupped type blade which is a unique blade cross secgtion and West by Northwest in Vancouver is the only one that makes this design .

Maine Sail 04-29-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf38 (Post 1023083)
Question - is West by Northwest THE place to get the Campbell Sailor or is "Campbell Sailor" a type of prop which is available from multiple places?

My local prop shop wants to sell me a thin blad "sailor" prop and it seems there is a chance it's the same thing. Any chance this is the case or do I have to go with west by northwest - I don't have a problem doing it it's just the local shop has it's advantages.

West by North is the "place" they are the manufacturer. The Michigan Sailer is not the same.