Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-08-2009

71Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
Outboard conclusion?...,maybe not on this boat.

I decided to make a new post for the conclusion of my outboard adventure. I want to make sure that people see some of the problems associated with this particular application. This year Irwin 32 has a design issue of the transom that may make my project too extreme to continue.

Seen in the video "part 3" on my site:
My 1971 Irwin 32 - Grace

...or by using the url in the sig.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 71Irwin32; 12-08-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
got an Idea! put a Snorkle on the eng! (gonna hide after that comment)

I must say it's nice looking piece of engineering!

ps: I saw a moto rmount for a large eletric motor that used one large and long threaded rod, and a sliding plate that was captive in channels on the side. it was very heavy steel of course.

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 12-08-2009 at 02:15 PM. Reason: PS
Old 12-08-2009

klem is on a distinguished road
Good thing you built a mockup. I have to give you a lot of credit for having the patience to build that and then try to figure out problems rather than immediately starting to drill holes in your boat. You certainly are taking a good approach when doing this. Keep up the good work. I want to hear how this turns out(however, I will not be removing my inboard).

So when are you going to mock up an extra long shaft outboard?
Old 12-08-2009

71Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post
Good thing you built a mockup.......to build that and then try to figure out problems rather than immediately starting to drill holes in your boat.
I spent over 2 years researching and looking for just the right boat for my interests....and I have a very high regard for this year Irwin.

However that said, I would rather not have the inboard, especially considering it needs work. The Atomic4 that's in it starts (with either) and doesn't run. A fuel problem, I'm sure, but I did NOT want to open that can of worms.

The purchase of this boat also came with a yanmar setting in a nearby storage room. It was salvaged from a Hunter 36. Trying to install that would be an even bigger job and I'd just like to sell both....right now it's beginning to look like I may be stuck with trying to fix the Atomic and maybe considering the yanmar down the road.

Maybe there's some kind of coating or other way of limiting the growth in this part of the Gulf, off the prop and shaft.

Last edited by 71Irwin32; 12-08-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
Sail motorless! I would if I didn't have locks to go through!
Old 12-08-2009

bluwateronly is on a distinguished road
Hello, see the project is moving and I have alot of respect for an able body sailor fixing his stuff. But, why fight it just fix the inboard and put a dripless packing shaft on it and be done with this mess. I have resisted with the advise of experienced sailors and I always and I mean always wish I just listened. I don't mean don't think for yourself you have too, just put it all togeather and and be the one who desides what is best for your issue. I don't walk on both sides I make an opion that is thought out and go for it. At times it is a bad way and I pay for it. Just seems to me I would put the effort into a more worthwhile project. If you don't sail on the hard stuff then experiment by all means but, the guys and gals saying nooo here are the ones that have been there and done that. It's all good on the easy stuff and you can make mistakes but, the hard stuff you make the same mistake and you might be calling a mayday. You sound like a good guy guy or I would not care if you became fish food I might save you but I hate getting wet I stay on top of the water and get real grumpy when wet and cold and hungry. Just a bored sailor trying to help out.
Old 12-08-2009

COOL is on a distinguished road
I now recognize the issues you are facing.
I did not realise your boat had such a high
stern counter, I was picturing an Irwin Citation 32.
The transom of my boat is only inches above the
waterline, so the outboard works out fine.
One thing you may not of thought of though that
I discovered with my set up.
At rest my outboard's lower unit is barely immersed
below the waterline.As soon as I gather any boat speed
the stern wave rises up to the transom until at about
5 knots my prop is well underwater. Even powering through
fairly rough seas its stays in the water as long as I can
maintain boatspeed.
With your hull form you should find that the stern wave
climbs right up to your transom as you approach hullspeed.
With as much effort and thought you have already invested,
you may as well bolt it up and give it a whirl. Just conduct your
test runs on a windless morning.
Old 12-08-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
COOL is correct that the stern wave will rise up and the boat squat somewhat underway which may help you at speed, but at low speeds your lack of submersion will likely still be a problem.

Clever engineering and quite a bit spent here already with all the harken stuff... but to my eye that's an awful lot of hardware on the back of the boat.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-08-2009

Garffin is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your effort in getting your project on the web. I really enjoy seeing people getting an idea and going for it. Keep it up. Thanks Dan
Old 12-08-2009

Gene T is on a distinguished road
Swapping out the inboard is not that complicated. I did myself on my first boat while it was in the water. It was 30 foot wood boat with an Atomic 4. I replaced it with a new Yanmar. I changed almost everything, prop, shaft, exhaust. Reused the tank but it was really too big once I switched to diesel. The 12hp diesel only used 1/6 the fuel.

One key to making the job easier for me was using a Scatra drive which a constant velocity joint. This made it possible to ignore engine alignment. They are expensive but allow you to mount the engine much lower than normal. That might not be an issue for you however.

The most difficult part was sizing the prop correctly. I took my best shot when I ordered it but needed to have it re pitched by 2" after testing. Not a big deal though except for two more trips under the boat in cold water. Ever try to use a three arm puller while holding your breath? Disclamer:I was young and cheap.

Currently in Long Beach, CA