Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-09-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Wow, really, never has happened on the board the boat I crew on which races every Wednesday evening and most long distance races during the season including a 600 mile race. Where are you getting your information?

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Seems to me to be an expensive way (relatively) to try and improve the tried and proven. Good marketing idea, wish I owned the company. But I'll stick to plain cotter pins. Some things just don't need changing.
Old 12-09-2009

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Mi,
I would be willing to bet that you tune your rig in the spring and let it go for the balance of the season. Am I correct? Or perhaps, your rig has been standing for several seasons and you have not touched your turnbuckles or pins for a couple of years other to inspect them. I know a lot of boats out there like that. These are not for you, they are for the sailors and racers that tune and adjust and retune as conditions warrant. Just because they do not fit your requirements or needs does not make them a bad product.
$3.25/ea. ?? Not very expensive if you ask me.
Like I said, they are used on the boat that I crew on and they are very convenient and have never given any problems and have never opened up or snagged etc.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 12-09-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
I like rings and not bending anything roll them in roll them out bit of tape to protect things and off we go

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-09-2009

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
rings

I vote 4 rings. I have a box of ring cotters (1"x.o62 wire dia. 302 ss passivated) they are designed 4 easy install or removal. One end is slightly bent inwards for easy access. In a real hurry to remove just use side cutters.
Old 12-09-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Rings are good and standard cotter pins are also easy to remove and replace if used properly - they shouldn't be bent back on themselves but only opened about 15 degrees.
Old 12-09-2009

saildog1 is on a distinguished road
I use the split round things. They're kind of like a key chain ring. Smooth so no sail snags or corrosion under the tape.
Old 12-09-2009
Coastal Traveler

nereussailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
Rings here too. I've used them on my last three boats. Never taped them, and never had anything catch on them.

Dave
Old 12-10-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I've used rings for years since they make adjustment easy. There is a risk of catching them with a sheet (especially when I used the blade on my boat). I have not taped them since that defeats the purpose of using a ring in the first place. A favorite set up for protecting the Ring-dings from snagging sheets and sails is to make a sleeve out of PVC tubing. I leave the tubing open at the top and can slide the tube up out of the way to work on the turnbuckle and let it drop down when I am done. That said, I have never gotten around to making a set for Synergy.

I am also a big believer in backing off the rigging tension and putting lanacote on the threads of the turnbuckle to minimize crevice coorosion.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 12-10-2009

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
Rings on shroud turnbuckles suck!. I had a sheet catch on one and pull it out detaching the shroud!. Quick crew action and a panic tack back so we saved the rig.

The velcro wrap pins are the bomb. I've been using them for at least 5 years. They have held up to 60 knots of wind- no problem. When you put them on, the trick is orient them so that the tail end terminates on the inboard side of the turnbuckle. No chance to catch and unravel there.

These babies are a lifesaver if you get dismasted in rough conditions, especially at night. We had our rig explode and break in 3 places in a microburst at night. Rig and sails blew over the side of the boat in 2 seconds. The crew were able unwrap the pins and unscrew the turnbuckles by feel. We got rid of the rig quickly since it was banging underneath the boat at an alarming rate. Ever try to cut away your rig in 65 knots while the boat is violently pitching from 4 foot steep short chop. I have and the wrap pins made it doable and safe.