Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-09-2009

RichH will become famous soon enough
J34035-
Since you have an inspection port you can easily get inside with a long handled scrubbing brush dipped into 'garage floor cleaning compounds'. These compounds will tend to soak up a lot of the semi-liquid crud and when they 'dry' can easily be handled. Otherwise, just knock the crud to the bottom and then soak up with paper towels ... which you will later 'burn'.

Recent commercial developments by some manufactures of chemical 'tank cleaners' will make your job easier (and dont need the tank to be removed - too late on your part). These 'cleaners' emulsify/dissolve the fungal crud from the tank walls, prevent the future agglomeration (small particles sticking together making larger and larger particles) of particles but let those unagglomerated particles freely pass through the 'common' fuel filters. "Starbrite Tank Cleaner" , etc. is one of such products that have great promise in remedying a very nasty job of 'tank cleanout'. You might want to slosh one of these chemical tank cleaners inside your already removed tank as an aid to your clean-out.

To prevent such fouling in the future, only keep in your tank the amount of fuel you NEED (plus some reserve), DONT continually top it off, remove the fuel when the boat is inactive for loooooong periods of time (ie.: winter). OR install a high flow recirculation polishing system that continually filters the fuel when the engine is running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2009
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the feedback. Just as a note, this boat (and tank) is almost 20 years old and as far as I know, has never been pulled and cleaned, so I figure it is due. I do try to keep only the diesel in that I need and I have an external pump with a filter to clean or polish the fuel to about 10 microns. I will look at Starbright as a cleaner and this weekend will pull the access cover to see what I really have to deal with. Hopefully it is not too bad. My goal is to go back next spring with a totally clean fuel system and avoid the clogged fuel filter problems I had this year. Always happens at an inconvenient time (is there a convenient time to have a problem?). Thanks to all, good advice.
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-09-2009
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
all that sludge may be keeping the pinholes from leaking if its' that old. Knowing what I know now. any old tank should be replaced (imho). new ones really aren't that expensive.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-09-2009
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
all that sludge may be keeping the pinholes from leaking if its' that old. Knowing what I know now. any old tank should be replaced (imho). new ones really aren't that expensive.
That may well be good advice. Putting a leaking tank back into service would be not so much fun. Thanks for that heads up.......
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

Old 12-09-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Replace it with new and you should be good for another 20 years.
Old 12-09-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

Good Call!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-10-2009
2nd mate

bartvdv is on a distinguished road
For an easy clean: pour in 2 litres (that's metric system) of gasoline.
Swirl around an pour it out, you will see the sludge come out with it.
Repeat as needed..
The small amount of gasoline left (after you poured it out) will do no harm to the engine, because its so dilluted w diesel.
Easy and cheap.
The big advantage is that you don't have to thoroughly dry the tank as you would have to w water.

Grtz from europe :-)
Old 12-10-2009
Not just a member

motovationcycles is on a distinguished road
tank clean

I removed my 18 gallon Monel fuel tank and cleaned.

1)removed the remaining fuel (took it home and mixed it with my tractor fuel)
2)Rinsed tank out with 2qts mineral spirits, with a handful of (steel) nuts in it. Used tape to seal the openings, then rolled the tank over and over in every direction.This way it loosened any on or behind the baffles. Poured out the mineral spirits in suitable container.
3) Used 1qt of West Marine citrus bilge cleaner and 2 gallons water and repeated the rolling process. poured out soap mixture.
4) inspected tank with flashlight and extendable inspection mirror.
5) Removed the (steel) nuts witha magnet, (thats why I used steel nuts stainless will not stick to a magnet)
6)Rinsed tank with lots of freshwater.
7) used a wet dry vac. to get out as much water as possible.
8) poured in 2 qts. Isopropyl Alcohol , taped openings and rolled it around. Poured out alcohol.
9) Left the tank in the Sun for 2 hrs. with the inspection port up, any water and acohol then evaporated.

26 yr old tank looked brand new. Cleaning it was the easy job. Getting it in and out out was tough. Comleted whole job with new fuel lines and vent hoses and gaskets. In a long 10 day.

Dan
"Wind Wing"
Piewiet 850 / Dutch Flyer 28
Solomons, MD
Chesapeake Bay

"For the truth is that I already know as much about my fate as I need to know. The day will come when I will die. So the only matter of consequence before me is what I do with my allotted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar with the breeze."

Richard Bode
-- from First You Have to Row a Little Boat
Old 12-10-2009

Quote:
mmmmmm..... maybe the organic acids in all that sludge is 'causing' the pinholes.

Pin holes in fuels tanks are easy to repair ..... just cut the top of the tank open (large 'sister flanges'), clean the tank, apply fiberglass tape to all the weld seams, and then 'line' the whole tank with a thickened epoxy or cloth and epoxy. Can be done 'in' the boat.
Old 12-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by motovationcycles View Post
I removed my 18 gallon Monel fuel tank and cleaned.
If you ever sell this boat, remove the tank and keep it. Nothing beats MONEL for fuel tanks. Of course you'd need a second mortgage these days to buy a MONEL fuel tank.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.