Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-12-2009
Coastal Traveler

nereussailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
We use a sunblock with an SPF 45 and a good Bimini. Before we got the Bimini, we sailed for only a couple of hours before we were exhausted. With a good Bimini, we go all day.

Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2009

charlottea is on a distinguished road
What sun?

(trapped in Canada)
Old 12-12-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
i use sunbrella, its called a bimini

oh and a tan
Old 12-12-2009
Waiting For Spring

krozet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Ombrelle

Comes in various strengths.

And a hat.
I used this while I was in the Virgin Islands this past May, not a single spot of sunburn. You can only get this in Canada from what I was told, the captain of my boat wanted the extra bottle I took down as it is great for sailing. It wicks into you're skin and leaves no residue on the lines and doesn't compromise your grip.

I also bought some Columbia UFP 50+ clothing, 3 shirts and 2 pairs of shorts.

Robert

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain
Old 12-12-2009

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
I take a medication that warns about exposure to direct sunlight...an understatement. I've found that a light weight long sleave white shirt from Columbia works well. They also sell a light weight hat with a ridiculously large bill and flaps that come well over the ears and a flap to protect the back of the neck. On a 1200 nm trip, I had no problems with burning and that was without any sunscreen. Only drawback...the bill on that sucker would put a duck billed platypus to shame and I make Elmer Fudd look like a prince. For me, I think it's a good look!
Old 12-13-2009

groundhog is on a distinguished road
There has been some controversy in sunblocks that I havent seen anyone mention here...

I read a while back that the ingredients in sunblocks break down when hit by the sun and can create a carcenagenic... ah, cancer causing compound.

They started formulating several solutions to this, but I haven't really seen much on the market that adresses this.

There was an outcry that you could put a product on your skin to protect you from... cancer, and it could be causing cancer.

But its been a year or two since i read this and it's been very quiet since.
Old 12-13-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
That is still going on groundhog. Common sense says that we evolved as a species out in the sunlight, our bodies even react by creating more protection for itself the more you expose yourself to sunlight, we even need sunlight to create vitamins that we need. It is all as natural as trees and tall grass. But then we started staying indoors more, going out later in the season, and getting sunburned because we only get exposed to sunlight on rare occasions and when we do our bodies haven't had time to build up a resistance to it. Then people figure out that they can treat the symptom with salves and potions and the sunscreen industry is born. Now there are questions not only about the sunscreens but whether sunscreens even work - now people who don't have any natural protection are staying outside even longer and getting even more exposure to sunlight because they aren't getting burned because of sunscreens. Apparently just because you aren't getting burned doesn't mean you are "safe". It's one of those situations like when people suffer more joint damage because they are taking pain killers and can't feel the pain that would have told them to stop what they are doing, or the over protective mother who actually causes her children to have asthma by keeping them in an overly clean environment and not allowing them to be exposed to dirt when they are young.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 12-13-2009 at 01:17 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-14-2009

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
When I lived in Arizona, the best protection I knew of was a long sleeved shirt and a hat for portable shade. Helped to keep you cool and comfortable

Here in Michigan, long sleeves aren't always that fun to wear when humidity climbs, so either short sleeves, or shirtless with a good tan and a hat.
I absolutely HATE the greasy feeling that lotions and creams leave, and the smell of most turns my stomach, so I stay away from them.

Wind Magic has it right, the last few lines echo my feelings perfectly, on both sun protection and pain killers. I read a report a while ago, (pdf on hard drive, but can't find it now) that since sunblocks have become more popular the incidence of skin cancers has increased. People don't burn, so stay out longer.

Ken.

Edit: Noscript seems to run everything together, so trying to clean the post up with it off.
Old 12-14-2009

dongreerps is on a distinguished road
Sunblocks that work

Remember that a mediocre product you use is incredibly better than the worlds best that stays in the bottle. Look for a product called "Sun Stick" Several different formulations are available. Mountaineering stores often carry them - in an expensive form. Look in drugstores for a more reasonable formulation. At any rate they come in a dispensor very much like a chapstick. Stick it in your pocket. When you feel a bit of warmth somewhere on your skin, rub on a coat, and get on with life.
Old 12-14-2009

alwheeler98 is on a distinguished road
Neutrogena sunscreen or whatever sunscreen I can find for babies. The baby sunscreen is a high spf and whatever the formula is, it seems to work pretty well for my skin.

Plus a hat.

I'm not in the the sun enough to get a protective coating and I've sunburned myself badly enough in the past to learn not want to take chances doing it again. Not a problem when I was a kid, but nowadays...

I usually have a tan by the end of the season, but I might be the only one who can tell. :-)