Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-15-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I'm with Wind Magic on this.

I have never used a sunblock, I am 61 years old and no cancer or any sign of it. I hate sunblock of any sort, it makes my hands sticky, it rubs off all over the boat, it stinks and it leaks into my chart table .

If I could ban the stuff on my boat I would but my family swear by it and use a paint-by numbers system of SPF20 over here and SPF30 over there and SPF50 on the other parts.

SPF50??? I believe that means that you can stay in the sun 50 times longer than if you didn't use it. So if I normally can stay in the sun for 20 minutes without burning, I can now stay in the sun for 1000 minutes?? That's over 16 hours. Where in the world can the sun burn you on a boat for that long? And then you are advised to "refresh" it every two hours anyway!!! The whole thing is a money-making crock.

The problem is that if someone gets burned in the sun on your boat they can probably sue you for negligence because you never took due care to protect them. Go figure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2009

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post

I have never used a sunblock, I am 61 years old and no cancer or any sign of it. I hate sunblock of any sort, it makes my hands sticky, it rubs off all over the boat, it stinks and it leaks into my chart table .

I am 62 and have had spots burned off. Damn genetics.

Use a lotion that is absorbed. Oils should be banned from boats.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 12-16-2009

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post
That is still going on groundhog. Common sense says that we evolved as a species out in the sunlight, our bodies even react by creating more protection for itself the more you expose yourself to sunlight, we even need sunlight to create vitamins that we need.......
OK, I do believe there is a pushing industry behind several marketing, testing, and tutorials about sunburn. But things are not that simple either. First you cannot overlook the change on climate and ionosphere, or simply put, the UV radiation has increased since it was first measured decades ago. We're now living in a different environment. Second, you should remember that many people are still alive due to technology, I'm serious; I use thick glass lenses to achieve only 75% of a good vision, so imagine if I had to count on my eyes to hunt and bring food home, or to defend my cave. I'd be extinguished by now!! Likewise, many people that would not survive on a sunny climate due to genetics, skin , etc... welll, would not survive ! Third, we feed ourselves way different today. A simple man now farm for thousands, food industry feed hundreds of thousands and that pose a major threat/change to our body compound; it's not the same anymore. Considering the geometric increase in world population, sunscreen has found its way to prevent some people disappearing. And probably there are several other factors I'm not aware of. I agree with you that there is a "freak" behaviour pushing to increase sunscreen use (specially with kids) but if we'd follow doctor instructions, we'd go out just for a couple of hours a day (to do photosintesis) .... Well, I'm really delighted to read all these posts and learning on many ideas I'll put in practice this summer.
Old 12-16-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well

There are a lot of different skin shades and some just need protection

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat