SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   How you protect your skin against the sun ? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/60480-how-you-protect-your-skin-against-sun.html)

negrini 12-11-2009 10:34 PM

How you protect your skin against the sun ?

To me, this is the first defense gear, in conjunction with T-shirts and sometimes hats. After reading a local test on sunblocks, where 90% of them were rejected due poor performance (either blocking UV, lasting time or water resistance), I became curious about how you protect your skin. I'm serious about this gear, specially because we have kids.

And what we'll do to the tons of BannanaBoat we purchased and ... yeas, lead the list of rejected products.

tager 12-11-2009 10:57 PM

I would suggest hats. Not only do they look cool, they are non carcinogenic, non greasy, actually work better with water, and they keep your core temp down. A lot more than can be said for skin grease.

night0wl 12-11-2009 11:10 PM

hats, long sleeve shirts designed for fishing...shorts and sunscreen on the feet (flip flops on the boat)

Most clothing doesn't do squat against U/V...especially thin cotton t-shirts.

jackdale 12-11-2009 11:36 PM

Ombrelle

Comes in various strengths.

And a hat.

wind_magic 12-12-2009 03:58 AM

Hat, and a tan.

Edit - I say a tan because sunscreen was created in 1938 A.D. and sun tans were created in approximately 2500000 B.C. Tans have quite a long history of protecting human skin from sun damage. :)

spec2 12-12-2009 07:47 AM

Bull Frog works best IMHO. It was recommended by a golfer friend who told me it is what is used on the PGA tour. The product works great I must admit.

sck5 12-12-2009 08:01 AM

my swimming coach used to put zinc oxide on his nose. white and ugly but it didnt let any sun through at all

tommays 12-12-2009 08:23 AM

I would like to read about the rejects as i make sun screen and fill many different brands

I cover with clothing and use Johnson and Johnson kids SPF 30 on ears and neck.

"SPF 30 product blocks 97% of rays, and an SPF 45 product blocks about 98% " you get the general idea

The issue is once you get to SPF 30 unless you go to a BLOCK there is not significantly more protection.

The reason use see back all the higher numbers is because there was a big government study that had a fatal flaw and had to be tossed and things like SPF 100 that were about to be banned caught a break.

The next big possible O-SHITE is micronized zinc health problems :rolleyes:

Allanbc 12-12-2009 08:25 AM

I'll second the Bull Frog. It is the best I have found and pretty water resistant. It is alcohol based so it will dry out your skin. I have oily skin and prefer the alcohol based sunblocks because they do no leave me feeling "greasy".

tommays 12-12-2009 08:35 AM

Bull Frog is good and its a bitch to clean the machines as it leaves a blue coating on the stainless that does only come off with alcohol