Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-13-2009

capttb is on a distinguished road
I've seen it done, even saw someone paint the hull (bootstripe to gunwale) red while in the water. When removing hardware check for access to replace them, sometimes you unscrew a cleat only to hear the nut drop off into some wormhole.
Old 12-14-2009

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Painting the deck on water is no problem if you make sure to keep everything dry.

To remove the hardware, Tape a wrench to the underside of the deck, so it is holding the nut. Keeps from losing them and makes everything a one-man job. Have done the same with a wrench and driver bit on top to hold a screw while I removed the nuts.

If you have backing plates that are suitable for tapping, I use some carpet seam tape that has some incredible grip to hold them in place, that way they stay in position all the time.
I don't seal on the inside, because if there's a leak I want it to leak inside so I know about it, sealer inside would trap it in the deck.

Ken.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
With the right conditions I'd say it's totally possible to do a deck paint job while in the water... you'll end up with a better job all round if you remove what you reasonably can. That also gives you the opportunity to properly rebed everything and it's a lot less masking too.

But you are definitely weather dependent and an unexpected shower could make a mess of your good work.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-25-2010

Fitz87 is on a distinguished road
I've been thinking of doing this as well.

I'll have to do things in steps because I don't get to work on the boat that often. I plan to remove all the hardware I can and fill the holes with some epoxy paste so that if it rains it won't get the core wet. next trip would be to sand and prime, then sand and pain. Later I'll redrill the holes and replace the hardware- with backing plates this time.

Fitz
Old 01-25-2010

klem is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz87 View Post
I've been thinking of doing this as well.

I'll have to do things in steps because I don't get to work on the boat that often. I plan to remove all the hardware I can and fill the holes with some epoxy paste so that if it rains it won't get the core wet. next trip would be to sand and prime, then sand and pain. Later I'll redrill the holes and replace the hardware- with backing plates this time.

Fitz
That seems like a good plan. Just make sure that you clean up well after each time, certain dusts can make a real mess if it rains on them.

I seem to have missed this thread while I was away in December so here is my view. I have spent way more time working on boats in the water than out of it. When I worked on commercial vessels, this was the norm, they came out of the water for long enough to paint the bottom, replace zincs and check the prop and shaft. As long as your marina allows it and you have access to power, there shouldn't be any problem. We used to paint the topsides from about 1' above the water and up in the water and have done touch ups on the boot stripe many times. It is up to you to know the harbor and know what the biggest wake or wave will be. In Camden, ME the schooners paint their topsides including boot stripe in the water but the harbor is really calm there and they pick a low traffic day.