SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Top Painting (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/60506-top-painting.html)

lapworth 12-13-2009 12:55 PM

Top Painting

Is it ok to top paint why your boat is in the water? Do you think I could do a nice job without taking all the fittings off ?

fordo 12-13-2009 01:36 PM

I assume you are painting the deck, rather than the topsides(the area between the waterline and the gunwales) since you mention fittings. If you are changing the color at all you should remove the fittings. If you are painting the same color it is still better to remove the fittings. It is possible to paint around the fittings if you're very good and very careful.

If you paint in the water you must be careful to keep the paint out of the water and the water out of the paint. You also have to watch the rigging and the mooring lines to keep them away from the paint.

canadianseamonkey 12-13-2009 03:17 PM

It's hard enough painting on the hard, I can't imagine painting while she's rocking. Some marinas won't let you because of environment issues, so best to check with them first. I would haul her out if you could and do it right.

petmac 12-13-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lapworth (Post 550523)
Is it ok to top paint why your boat is in the water? Do you think I could do a nice job without taking all the fittings off ?

Do it on the hard and take the fittings off. If she is a Bristol with a cored deck, check for delamination/saturated core and repair before refinishing. I ran into core problems on a Bristol 30 that I owned at one time.

tager 12-13-2009 04:46 PM

It would be possible to do it in the slip. Just make sure you have a shop vac to pick up any sanding dust. I would stop being vain and go sailing.

lapworth 12-13-2009 05:25 PM

Dec. through Feb. are maintenance months is it really that vain to fix up your boat in the of season ? I am trying to keep cost down my job isn't very stable in this economy.

petmac 12-13-2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lapworth (Post 550580)
Dec. through Feb. are maintenance months is it really that vain to fix up your boat in the of season ? I am trying to keep cost down my job isn't very stable in this economy.

Nothing vain about fixing up your boat. Messing around with boats is part of the fun. :)

imagine2frolic 12-13-2009 06:22 PM

Nothing wrong with trying to keep her appealling to your eye. If the boat has known issues as typed above. I would look for 4 those, and get rid of them, and then doll up the deck.

Removing everything will make it look better, more proffessional. It also makes it easier in the long run............i2f

tommays 12-13-2009 06:24 PM

You need dry weather above 50 deg F which is gonna be a tall order right now :)

I have a 55 DEG HEATED indoor area were i sprayed my mast last winter and it took a long time for the paint to dry

lapworth 12-13-2009 06:39 PM

We get warm days in the winter around here plus some global warming.