Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-18-2003

msl is on a distinguished road
Should I paint my mast?

...have been wondering about this. No corrosion to speak of, but just a bit worn looking.
Thinking of perhaps a light sanding, cleaning and fill some of the old drill holes with aluminum filler???? Then two part urethane/epoxy paint (white).
Any thought from folks who have or who wouldn''t again would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark L.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2003

jparker11 is on a distinguished road
Should I paint my mast?

Mark

Just finished painting the spars on the CAL, so I can''t give you any history, only comments on the method and paints I used. I used Interlux Interthane (two part/two coats) over two base coats of Interlux two part self etching epoxy primer. Applied each coat with a roll and tip method. You need two pairs of hands for this method.

The surface prep is the most important, sanded and applied Alumiprep after stripping everything off (winches, sail track, spreader brackets, cleats...

Looks great, but, for how long!!!

Old 01-20-2003

Should I paint my mast?

Thanks for your reply. A lot of work but I would like to try it.
Mark L.
Old 01-23-2003

BertV is on a distinguished road
Should I paint my mast?

I just got my computer back from the shop so this is a bit late. I painted my aluminum mast with the International Paints two part system with it''s two part etching and two part primer. This was in 1990 on a 1978 Islander Bahama 30. Lots of prep work and you really, really have to focus on the prep work. The final coats of white are sooo thin that every error shows through. You have to follow the instructions very carefully and not just on the can. The paint comes with a tiny little guide, read it carefully. When they mention thining the final coats, lean towards the thinner mixture, it brushes better and you get smother results. Of course, most of the mast is 20+ feet over your head and you cann''t see the errors anyway! It looked really good and 12 years later looks as good as the day I put it on. It''s very durable and impact resistant. The spinnaker pole has taken a beating with a few scars but still looks good. I painted the mast outside, next to the boat in a boat yard, in the early spring (westcoast BC, nice and warm). My biggest problem was keeping the flies from getting into the paint before it set. The problem with aluminum is that where-ever you have a stainless steel fastener or fitting, the paint will eventually lift because of the dissimilar metals. It''s not really a problem because it can be touched up if it''s close to the deck. You should look at eliminating extra fittings on your mast. When I painted mine I placed all my halyards internally and lead all lines to the cockpit. I was able to eliminate cleats and winches. I am currently in the process of re-building another Islander Bahama 30 and I have the mast at home. I''m in the process of doing the same again! This time I''ll be doing in the garage, better tempertuare control. The stuff is pretty smelly.
Old 01-25-2003

Should I paint my mast?

Thank you both for your advice. I have printed the page and will keep it in my "to do" book.

I have wondered whether to fill the old holes with aluminum putty or actually weld the holes closed ... welding on my mast sounds risky unless a pro is doing the work. None of those around here.

Thanks again,
Mark L.
Old 01-31-2003

captrad is on a distinguished road
Should I paint my mast?

We had our mast repainted on our 85 Irwin 3 years ago. We used Sterling 2 part paint. The prep work is the most critical. We sanded and primed the mast before applying the paint via spray gun. It looked great and still does. If you are in a salt water environment as we are, make sure you insulate areas where dissimilar metals come in contact with each other. Otherwise electrolosis will develop. We had that problem, but a quick touch up of the paint was all it took. If you are repainting, you should think about replacing the standing rigging also.

Capt. RAD
S/V Cavalier
Dana Point CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.