Winch Sizing .. Lewmar 40 = what ?? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-16-2009 Thread Starter

Winch Sizing .. Lewmar 40 = what ??

I am confused. If I need two Lewmar 40 st 2 speed winches?
What size are the other brands ??

Some brands list 14, 16, that sort of number.

Lewmar lists 40, 48 .. blah blah

How does the sailor compare.. what size is the same ??
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-16-2009

I haven't done this in a while but you should be able go onto Lemar's website and there they should list the various working loads and power ratios with and without handles for each of their winches. You can then go on the websites for other manufacturers and compare those numbers. '

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #3 of 6 Old 12-16-2009

Here's some info :
www.bitwrangler.com/winches

Last edited by petmac; 12-16-2009 at 11:03 AM.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-16-2009

Last I looked, ALL the current manufactures a "40" labled winch equaled the other brands of the same numer, ie a 40-1 was the lowest ratio on that winch. A 2 sp would have say a 20-1 speed, reverse the rotation of the handle, and it would be 40-1, hence a "2speed 40"

Typically winches under 15 or there abouts are singles, 15-48 or there abouts usually have two speeds. larger they start coming in 2, 3 an 4 speeds. With the number being the lowest setting.

Some "40's" will not be a 40 if you use an 8" handle, it would be about aa 36-1, and the higher would not be a 20, but an 18-1.

As jeff says, look up the specs on the given brands website. But it is not quite like the days of Barlow and Barbarossa, where a 16 Barlow equaled a 40 barbarossa, which is now Harken. Not sure of Barlow is out of biz, or is now say "Lewmar".

marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #5 of 6 Old 12-16-2009
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

What is the boat and application for the winch? I replaced the primaries on my Cal 9.2, were Barient 25's (~40 to 1) with Barient 27's ST. ( 48 to 1) By using a 8" winch handle in light air they are about 40 to 1. The smaller circle means you can crank faster..... If you need the power in heavy air just use the 10" handles.. My choice was largely based on the exact same hole mounting pattern for a easy swap. I hate to have to drill holes in a boat.

Link to article:
Winch_upgrade

Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan
post #6 of 6 Old 12-16-2009

Mauri pro sailing has a lot of selection guides for various kinds of hardware that I have used to figure out what is equivalent for various things - some of the guides are better than others but it is worth a look

check here

Sailboat Hardware Selection Guide

(I have no connection with them other than having bought various pieces of hardware in the past)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.