Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-18-2009
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Tell-tail ideas

OK, when John (JRD22) was on my boat this summer he commented on my tell-tails that I invented, so I thought I would post a how to on shroud tell-tales and encourage anyone else with other ideas to post.

I used green and red ripstop left over from my skydiving years and cut them into thin strips. I took off my white shroud protectors (I don't like those) and I cut off a short piece and put it on the shroud. Then I take one of those special black wire/zip ties with the hole in it and I secure it with a little play to the shroud so it will spin. I tie the rip-stop and I'm done. I would have used a single piece of rip-stop and doubled up but these are the longest pieces I had.

To adjust them, simply slide the shroud protector up and down. Because I have a pilot house, I have 4 of these. I have a set up high so I can see them from the cockpit and a set down low so I can see from the wheelhouse. And of course, I have green to starboard and red to port. These have worked well and much better than yarn which is what I was using prior to this. Yarn gets wet up here and clings to the shroud. These ones I built always spin and rarely stick to the shroud except in heavy rains combined with very light or no winds but they eventually free themselves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse

Last edited by Bilgewater; 12-19-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I am constantly bedevilled in coming up with a decent stay mounted tell tale. This is simply a super idea and like the best ideas such a simple solution.

Thanks for that. A shiny gold star for you.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-19-2009

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
Any wind direction measurement instrument including telltales should be on the top of main mast. The wind is deflected by the sails and this deflected wind direction is sensed from any direction indicator that is affected from the sails. These telltales will nearly always be parallel to your sails maybe only a few degrees off parallel. In tihsi case you will only have some idea of wind speed but not wind direction.
Old 12-19-2009
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by celenoglu View Post
Any wind direction measurement instrument including telltales should be on the top of main mast. The wind is deflected by the sails and this deflected wind direction is sensed from any direction indicator that is affected from the sails. These telltales will nearly always be parallel to your sails maybe only a few degrees off parallel. In tihsi case you will only have some idea of wind speed but not wind direction.
Just to be clear, shroud tell-tales are very common and they can be purchased commercially. This idea is simply a do-it-yourself method of making them. Downwind is when these are used and they definately would not be parallel to the headsail or main. All indicators of apparent wind direction are helpful.

Here's a commercial version of shroud tell-tales: Shroud Telltales, 1/8" (Pr) - 221 from DAVIS INSTRUMENTS

Rather than repeat what has been said by others, there is some good information on it's application/use here:
http://www.anything-sailing.com/tell...82.html?t=4982

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 12-19-2009
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I am constantly bedevilled in coming up with a decent stay mounted tell tale. This is simply a super idea and like the best ideas such a simple solution.

Thanks for that. A shiny gold star for you.
Thanks Fuzzy, glad you found this helpful and thanks for the star.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 12-19-2009
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
I've got the Davis ones--I like yours more. Excellent idea. Thanks!

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 12-19-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Ok Bilge, now come up with a pennant on a pigstick that I can hoist at the top of my mast in lieu of the wind indicator/ bird purch I have now.

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 12-19-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-20-2009
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
I've got the Davis ones--I like yours more. Excellent idea. Thanks!
I would imagine you could also use slightly undersized surgical tube instead of the shroud protector and with the added benifit of being clear it may look nicer. I'm pleased you like it, you will be happy with the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Ok Bilge, now come up with a pennant on a pigstick that I can hoist at the top of my mast in lieu of the wind indicator/ bird purch I have now.
Pappy...the standard or bird poking model??

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 12-20-2009

capttb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The wind is deflected by the sails and this deflected wind direction is sensed from any direction indicator that is affected from the sails.
That's a good reason to look at the ones on the windward shrouds.
Old 12-20-2009
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by seayalatermoonglow View Post
Thanks Fuzzy, glad you found this helpful and thanks for the star.
The Davis type ones are what we had until the last one disintegrated and fell off a couple of months back. They simply do not last. Pain in the butt really.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 12-20-2009 at 07:24 PM.