Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-19-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
.......I Love my Boat.....lol...
Obviously! No "bling" for the missus, then?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2009

Tempest is on a distinguished road
OH? you want THAT list too? ;-)
Old 12-20-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpickle View Post
OK, thanks.. You DID help..

How do they Calculate cost for a Haul out and clean and paint bottom.. Good stuff not cheep..
I do intend to NOT allow things to Rust/carrode or otherwise Deterierate..Boy, your makeing me use Big words :-0
Most yards in our area charge a minimal fee of about $30 a foot for a haul out, bottom wash, and paint with the cheapest paint they can find. If ANYTHING else is found wrong during the haul out then that is EXTRA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-20-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
The most important question IMHO is how much of the maintenance can you reliably do yourself. If it's lots then the overall cost will be less and obviously vice versa. If you think its lots and then do more damage than repair, it could be much more.

The second most important question is how old are the primary systems on your boat. If you have to replace a battery then so be it. If you need a new sail wardrobe then your eyes are likely to be watering by the time you're done.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 12-20-2009

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Sooner or later, if you keep your boat long enough, you'll have to/ or want to replace your sails....well made new sails are sweet! Old sails come off new sails go on...money aside, it's like changing your shirt..

It's the structural stuff that I keep my eye on/ worry about....Hull integrety, Chainplates, Deck moisture/delamination....etc...it's got to float..hold the rig up and be able to stand on....
Old 12-21-2009

floatsome is on a distinguished road
Average 10% purchase price of the boat per year.
Old 12-21-2009

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road
Estimating annual maintenance based exclusively upon purchase price will not provide accurate results. For example, a new 17' centerboarder with trailer will cost about the same as 30 year old racer cruiser with an engine, electronics, plumbing, etc. I've owned and maintained both. Although the cost is similar the maintenance costs not close.

Weight may be a better predictor than price. Maybe, $.50 per pound per year.
Old 12-21-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
equal

How much money do you have? That's what it costs!!!!

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 12-21-2009
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Here are the facts as I've learned them through many years of servicing, maintaining and upgrading my own boat and working in boat yards.

Everything, everything on a boat is broken, you just don't know it yet.

Any repair undertaken on a boat will cost three times as much as the original estimate. Further, it will take three times longer than the original estimate. In addition, you will discover, on commencing the repair, three other repairs which will be necessary to perform before starting the original repair. These three new repairs will follow the same rules as the original repair.

If there is a part which is no longer available, this is the part which will be broken. Or be dropped overboard.

I am being overly optimistic.

In addition to the cost and time spent affecting your own repairs, you must add the cost of torn or soiled clothing, skinned knuckles, bumps, bruises, sprains, tools you must purchase that you will only use once - though you will use it more than once, because the same item will break again. Add to your estimate the bill for the chiropractor and the psychiatrist.

If you hire the work done, all of the above still applies but you must add $85.00 per hour.

The best way to enjoy a boat is to develop and maintain a friendship with someone who owns a boat. If he asks for help in boat maintenance, claim you have no skills. If he insists, screw up. Contribute rum, fuel, and many compliments on the owners skills and his boat.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

Old 12-21-2009

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Here's my data from another thread on my boat budget:

Quote:
To give you a feel for my costs of buying a new mid-30 ft production boat:

25% Down payment...thats about $30k when you factor in the closing costs, fees that get tacked on
$800/mo boat note
$150/mo insurance (down this year because I negotiated...woo hoo!)
$500-$700/mo boat slip...need this year round in FL (mine is actually zero since my dock is behind my house)
$80 a month for bottom cleaning/diver/zincs replacement (my boat eats zincs since i'm in brackish water and no magnesium zincs are available)
$1500 a year for annual haul and bottom painting...you could go 18 months here if you're religious with the diver and your bottom is done well. Mine was not done well by the dealer
$100 a month for the "oops" fund (saving for insurance deductible or named storm deductible)
$200 a month for equipment, repairs, & upgrades (no repairs yet thankfully)
$100 a year for boat registration for the state (you'll have that with a small boat too...and for the trailer too)