SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   chain splicing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/6071-chain-splicing.html)

sailorman10 01-21-2003 07:02 AM

chain splicing

Ok, I have exhausted my search capabilities on the internet and realized I would have to turn to the real experts. I need to splice my 3 strand nylon rode onto a length of chain for the anchor. I have read that splicing onto only the last link of chain could would put more stress on the fibers due to the tight radius of the turn around the link and that a splice over the last several links is better/stronger. However, I cannot find any detail or instruction on making this type of splice. Does anyone out there know how to do this? I could cobble together a splice but would rather do it right since my boat will be riding on this splice. Any suggestions?

Randy

maestro 01-21-2003 07:21 AM

chain splicing

how about using a thimble and creating a permanent loop in the line. Then using a stainless shackle to connect the two together??

sailorman10 01-21-2003 08:09 AM

chain splicing

That is the setup I am using now. However, I am installing a deckpipe to store the rode below decks instead of in a canvas bag. The thimble setup will not pass thru the pipe.

Randy

ikent 01-21-2003 08:11 AM

chain splicing

The New England Ropes site has instructions for a rope to chain splice. Brion Toss''s Riggers Apprentice also shows another version.

Best of luck,
Ike

sailorman10 01-21-2003 09:48 AM

chain splicing

The splice on New England Ropes site is for an single link splice in the last link. I can do this splice with no problems however, What I am looking for is illustration or description of a splice into the last several links.

Randy

thefantasea 01-21-2003 10:11 AM

chain splicing

New England Rope has a "Contact Us" button on their website. It''s primary use is to request literature (including a splicing guide) but there is also a box for including comments. Why not pose the question to them?

sailorman10 01-24-2003 06:13 AM

chain splicing

After a little experimentation, I worked out the splicing process adequately enough. I wove the strands thru each link for about a foot and then turned and wove back thru the links to the chain end. Upon reaching the rope, I put in a long splice with about 7 tucks and finished off with the appropriate whipping. On my experimental piece, I tested it to failure with a 4 ton come-a-long between two trees. The splice held very well and the ulitmate failure was in the rope, not the splice. This type splice probably doesn''t make a stronger splice but it should reduce chafe as the load is spread out over several links instead of just one.

Randy

CaptGentry 01-25-2003 03:42 AM

chain splicing

If you are sending that splice into a deckpipe I would add a chaf guard to the splice. Some 2" heat shrink or some rawhide.