Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-21-2009

Liquorice is on a distinguished road
iPhone

There's an application on the web for the iPhone called iNavX - downloads for about $50.
It's a GPS plotter (I think)!
Anybody got it or tried it?
Is it worth the money?
With an iPhone around $500 and $50 for the App it would appear to be good value compared to a plotter. That's assuming it's OK and does what I think it does.
Sounds too good a deal to be useful!
Anybody???
sam :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-21-2009

SailingStNick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SailingStNick
$500 for an iPhone?

I'm surprised you haven't had any responses. You might check a Mac website such as MacRumors to get an opinion.
Old 12-21-2009

dinodino is on a distinguished road
I got it. I'm not too thrilled with it, and wouldn't buy it again. I bought it hoping to be able to use my iPhone as a cheap chartplotter, but the screen was really too small. The software was okay but many rough spots, such as when meeting the edge of the chart. I ended up buying a Garmin 640.
Old 12-21-2009
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Vitesse473 is on a distinguished road
You'd better also budget for an inverter so you can recharge the iPhone 2 hours after launching the app. I personally would not trust my iPhone to deliver something as important as chart plotting. You can buy a nice Garmin handheld for a lot less than $550.
Old 12-21-2009

Shortman is on a distinguished road
The current Practical Sailor

has an article on phone apps for navigation & pretty much concludes same as opinions expressed above. I agree, screen too small.
My iPhone was $100 w/service contract. Great for email on the go, searching for phone numbers on the land map app, even along Nova Scotia coast although once you cross a border you should buy an international data plan, even for Canada. I got it for the month I was there then canceled.
Old 12-21-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
Check out the Navionics App for $6.99. While I only use it for pre trip planning I could in a pinch use it as a backup if the chart plotter went down.
Old 12-21-2009

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBrown View Post
Check out the Navionics App for $6.99. While I only use it for pre trip planning I could in a pinch use it as a backup if the chart plotter went down.
How well do you like the Navionics App? I was thinking about getting for those times when I am sitting around on land and wishing I were on the water.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 12-21-2009

Pilot35 is on a distinguished road
I use the iNavX iPhone app as a back-up GPS & love it (must have a 3G). I already had the phone, so as a back-up was good deal. I find it accurate enough for cruises around Cape Cod. I did see a positive review for Navionics Marine - $10. New apps for the sailor every week.
Old 12-21-2009

Brucerobs2 is on a distinguished road
Navionics App

I have the Navionics App, and it works OK. On my phone (newer 3G) its still a little slow for chart details to fill in when moving across screens, which is frustrating. I would use it only as a back ups-back up, and in a pinch. The battery life is too short on the phone for practical nav use. Maybe there is a setting I can change but it also stops navigating when my phone goes to sleep after a minute of non use. Seems limited by the phone. As others have said, the screen is small, but if you use a hand held, its not much different than that.

I use it mostly on land when thinking about a trip or planning one (or if bored someplace) but I would not navigate with it unless I had too. The marina info is handy. I also like the waypoint function as its a quick and dirty way to measure distances between points/marks/etc.
Its also not weather resistant at all, which can be a problem ...and costly if you drop it. Its definitely not a nav system (yet) with this app. I like to check weather radar and other things on the water, but not navigate with the phone.
Old 12-22-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
Navionics App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanbc View Post
How well do you like the Navionics App? I was thinking about getting for those times when I am sitting around on land and wishing I were on the water.
I love it and pretty much use it as you suggest. Pre trip planning, sharing favorite anchorages with a buddy or just dreaming up trips for next summer. Its just a nice app that lets you check out most anything you would on a normal plotter. For $6.99 it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.