SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Auto Pilot Search

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  DwayneSpeer 
#1 ·
Proud owner of Ranger 37 (one ton) design. But have realized I'm not as young as I used to be and since I single hand I need an auto pilot. Any of you folks that have a similar boat I would love to hear from you on what design and make you have and why you picked that particular one. Most of my sailing is in the Caribbean so one and two day hops are the rule lots of coastal type sailing and little offshore. Any help and suggestions woule be appreciated.

Larry
Summer Obsession

#2 ·
pilot

My best advice is to go with a below decks one that is hydraulic based and attaches directly to an arm attached to the rudder AND pick one that is designed for a boat at least 25% larger than yours. After going thru a wheel mounted one that worked well until the weather picked up a bit I settled on a RayMarine (can't remember the model) and couldn't be more pleased. It's on my Flying Dutchman 37 and I hardly touch the wheel except when entering and leaving port.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.