Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-29-2009
Sailor & Member

dantaden is on a distinguished road
Stanchion Base Pads - re-bedding job

Looking for some advise, suggestions and recommendations.

Currently in the process of removing and rebedding all deck hardware. The stanchion bases and deck cleats currently sit on Teak pads attached to the fibreglass side decks. The teak pads range in thickness from 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches. The prupose of the teak pad is to provide appropriate angle and heighth for stanchions and other side deck fittings.

I am looking for alternative solution to the teak pads, something low maintenance. Perhaps plastic, acrylic, starboard, or fabricated fibreglass pads or other.

With your material recommendation can you alos suggest the sealant you experienced works best.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
many won't like my answer because they hate 5200, thinking that it's difficult to remove or because they despise starboard plastic because nothing will stick to it. I have great success with starboard (I use black) that is bedded to my deck with 3M 5200.. Where I place a bolt through my balsa cored deck or any fastener, I first grind out the balsa and work with a fully epoxied deck mounting. I easily form my mounting pad from starboard, probably two layers in your 1&1/2 inch case, and place my hardware on top of the starboard. When I position the structure over the 5200 bedding compound I only lightly tighten the fasteners and let the compound cure for more than 24 hours so I'm not squeezing it all out with the initial application. I most often have an aluminum back up plate on the under side of the deck or large fender washers for each fastener. If I decide to remove this assembly in the future, I can always lift the starboard and slide a chisel under the 5200. If I've used the 5200 with a material that it adheres to more vigorously, I can always run a wire under the deck hardware,- I've even used dental floss with success.

Even my former teak hand rails and companionway tracks are now starboard plastic. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew

Last edited by CaptainForce; 12-29-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-30-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
One alternative is to cast epoxy bases to the deck at the correct angle. The link is West's fiberglass repair manual. Casting hardware bases is on page 52 but the whole manual is informative and a free download.
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/...aintenance.pdf
Old 12-30-2009
Sailor & Member

dantaden is on a distinguished road
Thanks you for your replies. As it is always difficult getting to the fittings from under the deck, I prefer somewhat of a prema-fix, if there's such a thing. I found a local retailer specializing is fibreglass fabricating that will provide his unused sheets - ~ 3/16 thick. I'll cut these to size and layer to give me the depth I need for each fitting - using the West Systems instructions.

A little more upfront work than expected and I'm hoping for many years of leak free fittings.

If you have more to add please advise and thanks again.
Old 12-30-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Make sure you pot the holes in the deck with thickened epoxy if your deck is cored as mast are.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.