Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-08-2010
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

roline is on a distinguished road
folding martec prop

I've had the Martec 14Dx12P on a 30ft Cal 9.2 since purchased. The only complaint with folding props is a weak reverse. Fuel consumption is good and I included a RPM to hull speed graph.
Attached Thumbnails
Folding vs Feathering Prop - views requested-prop_1.jpg   Folding vs Feathering Prop - views requested-speed.jpg   Folding vs Feathering Prop - views requested-fuel-efficiency.gif  
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2010
Sailor & Member

dantaden is on a distinguished road
Thanks again everyone for your comments.

I have read on other threads that most featuring props require periodical maintenance, Variprop, Maxprop etc.. I have also heard the same with Autoprop, but requireing annual maintenance (bearing replacement) and overhaul. Some owners had experienced losing Autoprop blades.

and other owners have experienced no or very little problems or maintenance with their feathering or Autoprop.

I suspect these are extreme cases and/or perhaps some impact from salt water.

Is the above a valid concern - can anyone share further experiences ???
Old 01-09-2010

MC1 is on a distinguished road
Dan - Your summary seems about right from the reading I've done as well. One other item I can add about the MaxProp . . .

The MaxProp on my boat was corroded because the zinc was allowed to be completely consumed. In addition, the prop was a little oversized for the boat and was not allowing the engine to reach its proper full RPM (this was observed in the survey when I purchased the boat). Adjusting the pitch was not sufficient to overcome the problem in my case. The prop was sent back to PYI for refurbishing, and they were able to reduce the prop diameter, polish it back to like-new condition, lube it, etc.. PYI was very knowledgeable about the use of their product in a wide range of circumstances, and was very customer focused. It was nice experiencing such competent and truly helpful support from the vendor.

Here are the before - after pic's . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Folding vs Feathering Prop - views requested-maxprop-before.jpg   Folding vs Feathering Prop - views requested-maxprop-after.jpg  
Old 01-09-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Dan - Your summary seems about right from the reading I've done as well. One other item I can add about the MaxProp . . . .
MC - can you expand on the annual maintenance required on the Max if you've had it long enough?

I have an opportunity for a pretty good deal on a used Max - so I'm curious as to what's involved on an on-going basis...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-09-2010

Faster - From reading other threads, I believe annual maintenance may be required for the AutoProp. Regarding MaxProp maintenance, re-lubing is recommend every 2 years, as per the following from the PYI web site . . .

PROPELLER MAINTENANCE
The Max-prop needs to be degreased a minimum of once every two years. We recommend Lubraplate “130 AA” grease.

There are two holes in the spinner of the propeller to grease. Remove the set screw from the forward holes with a #3 metric Allen wrench and screw in the zerc tower, attach your grease gun and fill the propeller with grease until the grease starts to come out between the hub (1) and the spinner (7). Replace the set screw and remove the set screw from the more aft hole. Reinstall the zerc tower and attach your grease gun and fill the propeller with grease until the grease starts to come out between the blades and the spinners. Remove the zerc tower and reinsert the set screw into the propeller. Do not leave the zerc tower in the propeller.
• With each pump of the grease gun rotate the propeller from forward to reverse to allow the grease to work through the propeller.
• The numbers above are from Figure 2 at the beginning of this Max-prop Manual
• Make sure that you always keep the zinc anodes in good condition. They must be replaced at least once a year. The propeller must be protected by a lot of zinc, so also use a zinc on the shaft when possible. When replacing it make sure that you clean the contact point between the zinc and propeller. Use a wire brush or fine sandpaper to clean the aft of the end cap and the forward face of the zinc to give the zinc good contact with the propeller.
Old 01-09-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for that... had found it myself just this morning and have printed it. Seems straightforward enough.

I take it you've not done this yourself yet.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 01-09-2010

Correct, I'll be doing it myself for the first time this coming spring. I'm wondering if the recommended grease (Lubraplate 130 AA) is available generally (e.g., at WM), since they make a point of stating not to use Teflon grease as it will wash out easily.
Old 01-09-2010
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Correct, I'll be doing it myself for the first time this coming spring. I'm wondering if the recommended grease (Lubraplate 130 AA) is available generally (e.g., at WM), since they make a point of stating not to use Teflon grease as it will wash out easily.
Let's hope so.. esp since one of the reasons for recommending it was lower cost!

Old 01-09-2010

FlyinNOE is on a distinguished road
I installed a Flexofold on my 40' Beneteau Oceanis 2 months ago. Since then we have sailed 300 miles with the new prop.

I ordered straight from the US distributor here:
Flexofold Low Drag Folding Sailboat Propellers for Racers and Cruisers

Beautiful prop (I had it on my desk for a few weeks at work before the install!).

Performance wise there is a .5 to .6 knot difference between it folded and not folded. If I am sailing VERY slowly and I slowly motor down to neutral I can trick the prop into “windmilling” like my fixed prop used to with the sails driving the boat. I can be sailing 2.5 knots in light wind and hear it turning (if I managed to motor down correctly). Once I go down and grab the prop shaft and slow it slightly you can hear the blades fold and the boat accelerates .5 to .6 knots. I have done this a few times to verify the results and to prove the difference to friends.

Motoring is more efficient (same hull speed with 300-400 RPM less engine speed) and backing is identical to my old fixed prop.

Customer service was excellent.

The anode covers the working parts and pieces thereby reducing the likely hood of the prop being fixed by marine life.

Hope this helps.

Brian-
Old 01-10-2010

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I too noticed such an improvement in sailing qualities with my Gori folder in terms of acceleration in a puff that I had to revise at what apparent wind speeds I would change my sails (I have hank ons).

Basically, I got the better part of a knot for "free" and while I haven't noticed much change in "top speeds" for a given sail area, set and similar apparent wind speed, I get there quicker and the whole motion of the boat is "sprightlier" if that makes sense.

I can't necessarily attribute this to the folder, but my hull speed is, in theory, 6.9 knots on a 26 foot LWL. My GPS in current-free water once recorded 7.3kn on a close reach on a day with 25 knots, a No. 3 and a single reef set. Last Sept. 28th, with 25-28 knots, a No. 3 and a full main set, we hit 8.9 knots SOG on a beam to broad reach. I've never surfed for so long in this boat, and while I can't credit having a folding prop, my gut says that taking that resistance out of the equation allowed us to get surfing sooner.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.