Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-10-2010
Sailor & Member

dantaden is on a distinguished road
As most think folding props are designed for racers - this is not necessarily true. Now, with more cruising in mind, I see the benefit of a folder, getting to destination quicker under sail, leaving less mileage for motoring.

Valiente, just curious why you decided on a 4 blade feathering and not a 3 or 4 blade folder ?

Back from the Toronto boat show and still the Gori 3 blade folder w/overdrive is top of mind for my 48' Celestial (34,000lbs).

Please advise and share comments.
Old 01-10-2010

FlyinNOE is on a distinguished road
Folders

Many previous designs of folders allowed marine life to foul the working of the simple (and fairly open) folder. This meant that they were only really a viable choice for guys who were very maintenance conscious or didn't keep their boat in the water (like racers).

The Flexofold's design significantly reduces that likelihood (as does many of the newer other brands).

I bought the folder because of the lack of maintenance required, greater reduction in drag and the great reviews it had been given along with some very good customer service.

The benefit had been our ability to sail when previously I would have motored. The Puget Sound had very weak winds in the summer months.

Brian-
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
I believe that the Gori with overdrive and the Autoprop have some advantages over the others in what concerns cruising...if their prices are not a problem.

I failed to mention an useful feature on the Autoprop propeller. If you see a rope too late to stop or change direction and run over it, if you have time to shift to neutral, probably you don't get stuck (the blades move freely and avoid getting caught). It seems a small thing, but saved my day at least three times in the last 5 years.

Last edited by PCP; 01-11-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-11-2010
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
The Autoprop doesn't have any yearly maintenance except to change the zinc on the end as far as I know. Ours is pretty old, maybe the new ones require something, we haven't had to do anything other than the zinc in over 15 years.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Last edited by jrd22; 01-11-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2010
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
PCP, I only wish the Autoprop would release a line wrapped around it as easy as you stated. Only had it happen once, and it was my own fault, but it took 2-3hours in a swift current to cut it all off.

jrd22 As for annual service ours had to be greased at haul out as well as a new zinc. There were two small screws on each hub that you removed. I one you inserted the grease fitting, the other was the exit hole. I'm amazed that you've gone 15 yrs without a service on it. But hey if it's not broken don't fix it.
Old 01-11-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBrown View Post
PCP, I only wish the Autoprop would release a line wrapped around it as easy as you stated. Only had it happen once, and it was my own fault, but it took 2-3hours in a swift current to cut it all off.
I think you have misunderstood me, or perhaps I was not clear. I had also got caught by a cable... once...in a marina one of those in the med that have cables everywhere and no space to steer (they use big inflatable boats to put the boats on the spot).

I was not talking of getting lose after being tangled up, but about avoiding being caught, putting the engine in neutral. If you do that, before hitting the rope, with an autoprop you got a good chance of getting away free.... or I am a very lucky guy
Old 01-11-2010

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
The Autoprop doesn't have any yearly maintenance except to change the zinc on the end as far as I know. Ours is pretty old, maybe the new ones require something, we haven't had to anything other than the zinc in over 15 years.
I don't know what year they changed from water lube ? to grease lube but I do know that my first one purchased around 2002 or 2003 required grease. My current one that came with my used boat also requires grease and I think that was installed in the early 2000's also.
A friend of mine had one from back in '96 or so and I believe it did not require grease. 15 years is a longggg..... time...... I would consider pulling it and having the bearings checked if I were you. You don't want to become one of those "blades falling off" harpies because you expected too much of a bearing race Edit.... I don't remember Exactly how long or how bad the issue was but that friend with the 96ish non-greased had 'extra' play develop in a 'few' years and had it adjusted for that 'slop'. Not scientific I know..... but I hope you understand my concern.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

Last edited by christyleigh; 01-11-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-11-2010
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
PCP yes I did misunderstand your comment Now that you have clarified I totally agree the technique works quite well. I have done the same thing many times when moving through all the crab pots on Cheasapeake Bay.
Old 01-11-2010

MC1 is on a distinguished road
For cruising, if one is concerned about performance in reverse and/or prop-walk issues, wouldn't a feathering prop be preferred over a folder? When reversing out of a slip, I've read the folders are worse than 2-blade fixed props even, is this the case?

Concerning drag, I don't see why a folder would be much better (if any) than a feathered prop; is there independent data to suggest otherwise? I can't imagine any difference in drag between a good feathering prop and a good folding prop being significant for anything but the most light displacement racing boats being driven at the very top of their performance curve. This doesn't seem relevant to medium / heavy displacement cruisers. Thoughts?
Old 01-11-2010

FlyinNOE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
For cruising, if one is concerned about performance in reverse and/or prop-walk issues, wouldn't a feathering prop be preferred over a folder? When reversing out of a slip, I've read the folders are worse than 2-blade fixed props even, is this the case?
As far as prop walk is concerned my folder has less than the fixed three blade prop that was on the boat.

As for drag it's probably a minimul difference for anyone cruising, I agree. There is independant data out there if you search for it. Truth is a .1 of a knot is not noticable by most cruisers.

Brian-