Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-13-2010

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
I like the Gori on my boat and there is no noticeable prop walk and the "overdrive" setting makes motorsailing or motoring in calm seas a lot more efficient, at 2000rpm I hit 6-7 knots and very little diesel usage.
On the downside, I have had 2 run-ins with lines in the water, once a thick fishing trap and another time last month I ran over my own dinghy painter. In both cases the rope cutter did an admirable job of cutting away the rope remnants but in both cases the Gori was partially fouled and unbalanced and wasn't fully functional until I dove on it and removed the blockage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2010

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
svsirius is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
Oh...One other thing is that I'm not sure about the best way to "lock" the shaft with the max prop. For years I just shut down the engine and left the tranny in neutral, but now I'm shutting down when in forward and then putting it in reverse thinking that maybe there is more friction on the shaft allowing the max prop to feather better. (borg warner velvet drive) ??
We have been using the zirc fittings to re-grease [even underwater] and they work great.

Also regarding feathering the prop, the best practice to my knowledge is to stop the engine with the trans in neutral and then once the engine is stopped move the trans to reverse. Once the prop is feathered we put ours back in neutral. The shaft should not be spinning at all at this point.
Old 01-14-2010

Gene T is on a distinguished road
I'm jumping into this discussion a little late but thought I would add some pictures of a Martec. This came with my new (to me) boat. It powers well, reverse is OK but I don't have much experience with it yet. It looks too complicated to me. Service under water looks to be impossible with lots of pins, shims and set screws. Gears will be prone to getting jammed up with marine growth requiring frequent diver attention. Time will tell but I would rather have a Max.

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Old 01-15-2010
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene T View Post
Service under water looks to be impossible with lots of pins, shims and set screws. Gears will be prone to getting jammed up with marine growth requiring frequent diver attention. Time will tell but I would rather have a Max.
Not true, Gene. There is almost no service to any prop, folding, feathering or fixed, that cannot be done underwater by a knowlegable diver with the right tools. Including installation or removal.
Old 01-15-2010

Gene T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Not true, Gene. There is almost no service to any prop, folding, feathering or fixed, that cannot be done underwater by a knowlegable diver with the right tools. Including installation or removal.
I will probably test you someday when I bring the boat back to SF Bay. You used to service my old boat in Alameda and I have a lot of respect for your work.

However, I watched the this prop come apart and go back together. I would like to know how you can properly lubricate all the different pieces while under water.

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Old 01-15-2010
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene T View Post
However, I watched the this prop come apart and go back together. I would like to know how you can properly lubricate all the different pieces while under water.
That particular prop requires no lubrication.
Old 02-05-2011

Nelsoncw is on a distinguished road
I have an Autoprop on my Catalina 42. AB Marine had rebuilt the prop in 2007. In May of 2009 and 225 hours later a blade came off. Buntons Marine replaced the blade for $1500. I had it lubricated every six months. I am always in deep water. It never touched anything but saltwater. I only go to Catalina and back. Other than the lost blade there was not any evidence of damage or distress.

At the time Steve Armitage of AB Marine told me that losing a blade was a rare occurrence and that he did not have an explanation for why the blade fell off. David Sheppard of Brunton's Propellers Ltd, told me losing a blade is an “an exceptional case”. Contrary to their comments the prop has been subject to a recall for lost blades. If you search other support groups and blogs you will find many others that have lost Autoprop blades. It demeans their credibility to say otherwise.

Although I enjoy the performance of my Autoprop my experience with AB Marine and Brunton's Propellers has been extremely disappointing. They are unwilling to stand behind their product. In all their replies I feel like I am hearing from a politician trying not to give a straight answer.
Old 02-07-2011
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
folding

I have a folding prop. It works well. What can I say!

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 02-09-2011
Sailor & Member

dantaden is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone for your experience and advise. In the end I decided to on a GORI 3 blade folding prop from AB Marine and after a season in service I am very happy with the additional speed under sail. Under power, the over drive feature is great getting around 6-6.2 knots @ 1500 RPM on my 72hp Mercedes Diesel.

Have emailed AB Marine on a couple of accassions to enquire about blade size but no response - perhaps an indicator for future service performance ?

All in all, very happy with my GORI prop.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.