Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-13-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Here's the Rocna chart showing how for their anchor boat displacement is factored in.
Attached Thumbnails
Assess my anchoring gear, please!-1.jpg  
Old 01-13-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Now you guys are making me second guess my much-thought-out decision! Far as I can tell, the Lewmar Horizon (most common Bruce/claw) does not have sizes between 22lbs and 33lbs. I'm thinking the 22 will hold 99% of time, but if an extra 11lbs keeps me secure 100% I think it might be worth it.

Who was it that said "You know you have the right size anchor when your dockmates are laughing as you lug it down the dock towards your boat"?

Hmm...still, the 22 is rated for 31'-35' by most sources. My 28 footer isn't particularly heavy either at around 8,000lbs dry. Hmm...
My sister and her husband got along fine with the 22 claw here on the Chesapeake, with their Beneteau 285. We even rafted with them on that single anchor a few times, with a bit of wind. But thick Chesapeake mud offers ideal holding for that anchor.

Tough call. If you can manage the 33 lb, and have space to store it, why not. The price spread is not so great either.

By the way, we do have one claw anchor in our quiver, the 1kg version. It's for our dinghy, and holds great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I won't second guess your good choice either. Heavier is always better.
Old 01-13-2010

klem is on a distinguished road
I think that the original plan of a 33lb claw sounds good. As you said yourself, the 22lb might work 99% of the time, but there is 1% that it doesn't work for.

A factor in anchoring that is almost never discussed is how well your boat sits at anchor. I remember spending at night on a mooring with a pretty consistent 50 knot wind on a bavaria 46 and the boat was all over the place and the shock loading was immense. The boat was coming up on the mooring then falling off 45+ degrees one way then fetching up again. I ended up starting the engine and reversing on the mooring to calm things down and the shock loads became much lower. It is these shock loads that will make your anchor drag or jump out(the claw tends not to drag in a stable manner, it suddenly breaks free). I have never spent a night on the model boat that you have but how it sits on the mooring is important.

Regarding cast vs forged, forged is far superior. I have seen 2 cast anchors break, one fisherman type and one ~30lb claw type. Another thing to look at is your shackle and chain. You will find that many shackles are cast and therefore not very strong and should not be used. In addition, many people are shocked by how weak grade 30 chain is. Many of the suggestions for chain sizing that I have seen would give chain that would break before the anchor dislodged in an ideal holding bottom. Grade 40 is stronger and Grade 70 is very strong stuff allowing very lightweight chain.

The anchor size really comes down to what you are willing to haul up each night and whether you ever might use the anchor in less than ideal conditions.
Old 01-14-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I don't know how you would anchor properly without a bow roller. There has to be something at the bow to lead it over the side to prevent damage on any boat. It may as well be a roller so it's easier to haul back up.
Our boat has two chock-like openings (port & starboard) in the bowrail designed for docklines. We have a bridle rigged that attaches to both bow cleats then passes through the chocks and then attaches to the anchor rode. Seems to work well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
Our boat has two chock-like openings (port & starboard) in the bowrail designed for docklines. We have a bridle rigged that attaches to both bow cleats then passes through the chocks and then attaches to the anchor rode. Seems to work well.
I guess along the lines of what Brian was saying, it sure would be nice to have that 33 lb claw secured on a roller at the bow, ready to go. Have you looked at any of the "bolt-on" anchor/bow roller arrangements? Something like this. Wouldn't it be cool to install a new fully integrated anchor system, roller, anchor, rode before the big trip?

I love upgrading other people's boats.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 01-14-2010
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Just to throw out a couple of other options. You could a) Go to a larger Danforth style anchor that would still be able to hang from your pullpit and thus be ready to deploy at all times, and solve the storage issues. b) Add more chain that would help improve the holding power of whatever anchor you choose to go with. Or, c) A combination of these along with you idea of switching to another style of anchor.

I use a 25# Danforth style anchor as my primary that hangs on the pullpit (no roller) combined with 70' of chain and 150' 3/4" rope. I primarily cruise in Green Bay with similar conditions to what you are going to encounter. Haven't had any issues and in light conditions the boat hangs simply on the chain.

They haven't made an anchor yet that will hold 100% of the time.
Old 01-14-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
I love upgrading other people's boats.
I like the idea of adding roller and have thought about it a fair amount. It would entail also adding some sort of wood pad beneath it to raise the roller high enough to clear the aluminum toe rail that covers the entire bow. Based on our upgrade budget for this year, I'm afraid we'll just be getting a new anchor for starters. The roller you suggested is a measely $386!

Old 01-14-2010

bluwateronly is on a distinguished road
I use a 44lb lewmar bruce style. I have a 31' boat. I have a bow roller that's built into the boat so, works great.30' heavy chain and 200' rode. I have never dragged and have wind shifts and different bottom conditions. I don't have a problem getting it up without a windlass, not easy but doable. I never sleep much the first night but if all is well I sleep almost 4 hrs at a time. I never regret going with the bigger anchor. Kind of like a condom, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it
Old 01-14-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd say that your current anchoring gear is really undersized.

The Delta is a better choice than a CQR or a Claw/Bruce IMHO. However, you can probably get away with the 22 lb. Rocna or 25 lb. Manson Supreme, rather than the 33/35 lb. one, since your boat is not that large. The Delta 35 and the Manson Supreme 35 are pretty comparable in price, and the Rocna is a bit more.

The CQR and Claw anchors need to weigh a lot more than either the Manson Supreme or Rocna to give you the equivalent holding power. The Manson Supreme and Rocna are also better at setting and handle reversing current/wind situations far better than the older designs do. I'd also recommend that you have at least 30-45' of chain.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-14-2010 at 12:27 PM.