Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-26-2003

docket is on a distinguished road
Entec West Generator

I am considering installing an Entec West Generator in my Sailboat. It is a 3600 RPM 4.2 KW unit that utilizes a Faryman Diesel Engine. It is a single cylinder. The good part is that the unit is small and apparently has a pretty good sound shield. I am curious if anyone has any experience with the unit especially from an noise/vibration standpoint as well as general experience. My alternative unit is a Northern Lights unit but it will be more difficult to install because the footprint is larger. I look forward to any input that you have.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2003

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Entec West Generator

Docket:

I''m surely no expert on generators but was having a chat with an ABYC systems installer just last week on this topic. He was to be installing a new 3600 rpm generator powered by a 1-cylinder Faryman and I thought his observation made sense. Essentially, he was asking why someone would choose a 1-cylinder engine when you''d hope for unobtrusive operation in a generator and this will by definition generate more vibration. He wondered why someone would choose Faryman given the higher rpm, lower weight engines that are common today. He also remarked that it was very expensive relative to the other choices. (The price he mentioned, obtained at a boat show and with sound shield, was more than my new 71 hp Westerbeke with options).

To the extent these comments strike home, you might want to consider shopping a bit more. I''m guessing it is the foot print that is dictating your choice...which may suggest that the decision to install a generator isn''t very appropriate to your particular boat.

Jack
Old 03-25-2003

svtrio is on a distinguished road
Entec West Generator

docket,

Docket,

I''m faced with the same problem. The Entec is the smallest footprint for a diesel, thus far in my search. It is simply and soundly constructed; there isn''t a lot that can go wrong. The cost is less than a Panda, but signicantly more than some of the diesel generators just entering the market. Norpro had a small unit at the Miami boat show, but it was raw water cooled.

As of now, I''ll probably go with the Entec, but I''ll be curious what you discover about the product (or an alternative).

I''ll pro
Old 03-26-2003

marcliff is on a distinguished road
Entec West Generator

Docket
In a B345 that I purchased two years ago there is a Entec generator. The unit is about 8/9 years old. It ALWAYS starts, has a small footprint, and is well insulated for sound. The vibration, for me, is not a real factor but I have never run the generator when trying to sleep. It is installed in a cockpit locker and the noise/vibration is pretty significant in the aft berth which is only seperated by a plywood bulkhead.

The previous owner had used some glue-on sound insulation but it was pretty much a mess so I took all that out. I don''t see enough of a change to warrant installing new insulation.

I had some inherited problems with some of the sensors in the safety system, temp and oil pressure, that I had to work throught but the tech support from Entecwest was as good as I have ever experienced.

Other stuff glad to discuss. Contact me off the board if you want.
Cliff
Old 04-03-2003

docket is on a distinguished road
Entec West Generator

My search is over, I went ahead and bought a Northern Lights 6kw unit that is Model 673L. Believe it or not the unit was only four inches wider and six inches longer. Moreover, while the unit itself was heavier by 150 lbs it does run at 1800 rpm and very smooth since it is a three cylinder. I put it in with no soundshield and while it is not as quiet as a Panda, I have not yet put in any insulation.
Old 10-23-2007

avazquez is on a distinguished road
Entec vs. Entec West

Entec and Entec West are not the same thing. Entec used kubota engines and are long gone. So if you see an Entec generator it doesn't mean it is an Entec West.
Old 10-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Avaquez-

Are you aware that the thread you're replying to is over FOUR YEARS OLD???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-23-2007

Rockter will become famous soon enough
I think the generator has already clapped out, 4 years ago.
Old 10-23-2007

7Psych is on a distinguished road
Don't ya think that old threads should have a time limt as to allow a reply??...I hate this having to find out that the thread is soooo old, the equiment is no longer made or the company is now belly up!! This is a problem that needs to be addressed, and now this thread should be locked!!
Old 10-24-2007

avazquez is on a distinguished road
Old Threads: A WEALTH OF INFORMATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Psych View Post
Don't ya think that old threads should have a time limt as to allow a reply??...I hate this having to find out that the thread is soooo old, the equiment is no longer made or the company is now belly up!! This is a problem that needs to be addressed, and now this thread should be locked!!
Totally disagree. I think old threads offer a wealth of information and everytime someone adds more info the better they get. Just take the information and forget about the date. Is the information useful? Then use it and relax.