SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Resurrecting Achilles

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  hellosailor 
#1 ·
Bought an older hypalon Achilles inflatable and decided to bring it back to life this winter. There just hasn't been much wind in SoCal. Repaired and refinished the wooden floorboards, seat and transom, and they turned out really nice. I am now directing my attention on the post-purchase installed dingy davit attachments. They appear to be made of rubber, and are stuck tight!! Tried lifting off with heat. Didn't seem to work. Any ideas? I am about resolved to grinding them down or using one of those micro-plane cheese graters on it. Or maybe just leaving them alone. Tried searching the forums here and google to no avail. I know I'm probably just using the wrong search terms. Lots of articles on installing patches, but nothing about removing items. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pat

PS. The pin oar locks are beginning to crack, also. Any hope for me??

#2 ·
Most likely the davit attachments are Weaver snap davits. Good luck getting them off without damaging the fabric underneath. After all, they were designed to bear the weight of the dinghy for many years as it was raised and lowered. It's about as firm a bond as you can create.

If the metal fasteners are still there, cut them off. You could then carefully grind off the remaining rubber high spots. Once that's done, stop.

How is your Achilles doing staying inflated? After several years of storage on the deck of my boat, mine leaked like crazy when I inflated it. I was not able to pinpoint exactly where the leaks were so will try again this spring. Hate to have to buy a new one.

#3 ·
Thanks, Alan. That's about the same conclusion I've come to over night. I'll probably just leave them on and clean them up a little.

I got lucky with this one. Seems to hold air for ever. Actually I just bought another identical Achilles, except this one is absolutely cherry. My project has changed from restoring to just cleaning up for sale. It gives me something to do while there is NO WIND in SoCal.

Thanks again, Alan

Pat

#4 ·
Pat, if something is properly glued down to hypalon, it is forever.

Lifting points, oarlocks, whatever forever. Clean it up, let the next owner worry about it. They might not care about oars at all. If it has GLUED SEAMS, do not use ArmorAll on it. Apparently it can eventually unbond the permanently glued seams. (Very much not a good thing.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.