SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Insane with tha Propane (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/61167-insane-tha-propane.html)

GilStump 01-10-2010 10:19 AM

Insane with tha Propane

I have a propane stove/oven. I need to replace everything but the solenoid and the stove. Looking online, I find too many options. Does anyone know a good (reasonably priced) source of propane supplies? How do I find out if my system is high or low pressure?

I intend to hang my tank from the stern rail. Any suggestions?

boatpoker 01-10-2010 10:45 AM

Gilstump, commandment #1 ... Thou Shalt Not Play With Propane.
Bite the bullet and hire a qualified technichian who is ABYC Certified.

mitiempo 01-10-2010 11:53 AM

Gil
Here's a link to Casey's article on propane installation.
Propane Systems by Don Casey
Hope this helps

hellosailor 01-10-2010 02:19 PM

RV suppliers typically sell the same "marine" propane supplies for less. Just be sure this is within your comfort level and that you ARE meeting "code". Sometimes it seems ridiculous but there's usually a reason it needs to be done that way. (Like, making Real Damn Sure you won't be among the half dozen or so homes and business that blow up from gas leaks every year in the US.)

mitiempo 01-10-2010 02:39 PM

hellosailor
I agree and don't think there is a specific "marine" propane regulator. A sniffer is essential in my opinion and not just a solenoid. And straight protected supply hoses of the approved type with no connections except at the appliance outside of the propane locker.

poopdeckpappy 01-10-2010 05:57 PM

If he is mounting on the sternrail and has a uninterupted line from tank to stove, a sniffer would not be needed, and if he makes it a habit to shut the propane off at the tank first and the the stove burn off excess propane, then there is no need for a solenoid, I think a solenoid is more conveinence than a safety item.

Yes/No ??

boatpoker 01-10-2010 06:04 PM

Unfortunately there is no "code" for propane installations on boats in the US or Canada, however if you wish to meet ABYC Standards (and you should) You must have a solenoid, pressure gauge and fume detector. Miteiempo is correct, these standards also prohibit any connections inside the vessel other than at the appliance. There are a number of other requirements to meet ABYC Standards and If you are not familiar with them or the reasons for them you should not play with propane.

mitiempo 01-10-2010 06:23 PM

Interesting how much difference location makes though. In the UK the BSS guide (their codes) state that all piping must be rigid copper or stainless with a flex hose not longer than 1 meter attached to run from the main line to the appliance. They apparently feel that the flexible hose is more of a risk than the connections.

hellosailor 01-10-2010 09:29 PM

Not surprising that different national authorities might find different ways to accomplish the same result. Could be local differences, or trade groups applying pressure (i.e. a flex hose maker who made big contributions to an MP who married his sister) or just a different local tally of accidents.

Propane sniffers are a wonderful thing, but sometimes they go bad and THAT can drive you nuts. One more thing to buy, wire, and wait for it to go wrong. Easier and prettier to keep a couple of canaries in the bilge.

When the music stops--get off the boat. Quickly, and without making any sparks. :-)

boatpoker 01-10-2010 09:33 PM

It's not the differences that surprise me, its the fact that neither the US Code of Federal Regulations nor Transport Canada Small Vessel Construction Standards even mention propane in pleasure craft.