Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-10-2010

n0w0rries is on a distinguished road
Problem with Jabsco manual toilet

The previous owner said the toilet was replaced recently. It seemed to work ok for a while, but I did notice occasionally there would be a scum line in the toilet, even though it was left empty.

I noticed it got hard to flush. I can pump it full of water easily, but when I switch it to dry to pump it out, it doesn't do anything. I felt a lot of resistance on the down stroke, so I took the boat over and pumped it out, just to be safe. I tried again and was able to push through the resistance, and then it would pump freely (but still do nothing)... then at random it would get hard to pump again.

Any advice? Unless it's a cheap/easy repair, I'm thinking of replacing it after reading on here.
Old 01-10-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
This is directly from the trouble shooting section of my Jabsco manual toilet owner's manual:

Bowl does not empty & difficult to push handle down:
1) Open outlet seacock
2) Fully shut Flush Control Lever
3) Check joker valve, discharge hose or outlet seacock for blockage

Bowl does not empty and difficult to pull handle up:
1) Remove pump and check for blockage

There's 4 or 5 other trouble shooting tips listed. Feel free to ask for more!

You can also check Jabsco's Marine Toilet Support Wizard found here: http://www.jabsco.com/support/wizards/question-wizard-waste1-style-pagepath-imagepath-itempage-id-.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2010

Thanks! I didn't even to think to check their website. Was able to download and print out the manual. Hope it's something easy!
Old 01-10-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Some people just replace these units rather then buy the service kit which costs about $50. This unit costs about $150 brand new.
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|806|315133|823306&id=1055779
I am not sure if that is the same model as yours. There is a larger bowl version which is about $200.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2010

Well went down and took the pump apart. Wasn't able to check the bottom/joker valves because there's nasty water in the toilet and I haven't been able to clean it out. Any problem with trying a plunger? Would rather not have to use a cup to empty the head.

Working on the head really SUCKS.
Old 01-17-2010

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
I work on waste treatment plants, so a boat head is a day in the park. When I need to clean out something before I work on it I use a shop vac. However, I DON'T use it directly! I get a 5 gallon buckt and lid. Cut a hole in the lid a little smaller than the vacuum hose and poke the hose into the hole. Get another piece of hose and poke a second hole in the lid for that one too. Turn on the vac and use the second hose to suck out the head, and even the head hoses, depositing everything in the 5 gallon bucket. No mess at all!

Gary H. Lucas
Old 01-17-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're going to re-build the head... I would highly recommend you look at buying a Raritan PHII/PHC refit kit that basically replaces the head with a PHII or PHC system but re-uses your existing bowl, which saves you a considerable amount of money off the price of a Raritan PHII/PHC head. The Raritan PHII/PHC head is generally considered one of the best moderately priced marine heads, unlike the Jabsco units, which are generally considered the equivalent of what goes into them in normal usage.

SBO has the Raritan kits available.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-17-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Don't use a plunger! Pulling back on the check valves is bad and it will not help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0w0rries View Post
Well went down and took the pump apart. Wasn't able to check the bottom/joker valves because there's nasty water in the toilet and I haven't been able to clean it out. Any problem with trying a plunger? Would rather not have to use a cup to empty the head.

Working on the head really SUCKS.
Plungers mostly such, and marine heads are designed to resist that. Take the plunger OFF the boat.

It sounds like a blockage problem, most likely in one of the hoses and possibly in the tank vent. Unless the hoses are cleared, a new head won't help. It doesn't sound like a re-build, not if there is resistance.

The scum line problem is fairly normal, if the toilet is not flushed with enough fresh water and the joker valve seeps.

Get some gloves and keep them on the boat. It's just poop. Think babies and it's no big deal.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 01-17-2010
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
Its been a while since I had the problem, but if you are able to pump wet easily and the dry is intermitantly hard, my guess is you need to look at (2) on the Jabsco list-the Flush Control Lever is not doing its job. Exercise the lever between wet and dry positions and see if you can get it to go further over to the dry side. You can also try holding it over to the dry position while you pump.

If pushing the lever further over doesn't help, the problem is internal to the pump. The good news is that the part you need to fix is at the clean top end of the pump. The bad news is that my experience with getting the top of the pump back together without leaks is not good.
Old 01-17-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Good points. It may also be mis-assymbled

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradclife View Post
Its been a while since I had the problem, but if you are able to pump wet easily and the dry is intermitantly hard, my guess is you need to look at (2) on the Jabsco list-the Flush Control Lever is not doing its job. Exercise the lever between wet and dry positions and see if you can get it to go further over to the dry side. You can also try holding it over to the dry position while you pump.

If pushing the lever further over doesn't help, the problem is internal to the pump. The good news is that the part you need to fix is at the clean top end of the pump. The bad news is that my experience with getting the top of the pump back together without leaks is not good.
Mine was, when I got it, and the problem was similar. Take a long look at the exploded view.

I've never had leak issues on the top and have taken it apart several times. Minor differences, I guess.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.