Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-11-2010

seb5thman is on a distinguished road
Mercury 8-hp Problems

I hope this is the right forum for this question. I have a 2007 Mercury 4- stroke 8-hp outboard that gives me fits. It is connected to a 2.5 gal container with a bulb type primer. After priming the bulb the boat won't start half the time. I can smell gas so I think it's flooding, but it even does it on occasion when I only prime the bulb a couple of times. After waiting 15-minutes or so it will sometimes start, and if it does a lot of white smoke comes out. Other times I have to pull it 30+ times before it begins to sound like it wants to start.
The other problem is sometimes the starter handle seems to be seized up and won't allow me to pull start the engine. The engine is in neutral, and again it seems to have a mind of its own.
This is my first time with an outboard, so any suggestions would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Tohastsu - 8hp 4cycle - tech questions

If you search this forum under Tohatsu (same as yours) you will get the low down on your problem which is generally form leaving fuel in the carb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-11-2010

75R20 is on a distinguished road
When it won't turn with the starter rope, you have most likely flooded a cylinder with fuel and temporary hydro-locked a cylinder. Next time it does it, pull the plugs and see if they are wet, and pull the starter rope while the plugs are out. It will probably turn over just fine. At the very least, pull the plugs and inspect them. They are probably junk from being flooded with fuel.
Good luck

Kary
SV Mariah
Old 01-12-2010

ChuckA is on a distinguished road
The MarineEngine discussion board is the best place to get input on motors. Here is a link to their Mercury outboard forum. I've gotten a lot of great advice there.

Mercury Mariner Outboard Discussion Forum at MarineEngine.com

Twitter: @CoastalCafe_NE
Old 06-27-2013

charles b is on a distinguished road
Re: Mercury 8-hp Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb5thman View Post
I hope this is the right forum for this question. I have a 2007 Mercury 4- stroke 8-hp outboard that gives me fits. It is connected to a 2.5 gal container with a bulb type primer. After priming the bulb the boat won't start half the time. I can smell gas so I think it's flooding, but it even does it on occasion when I only prime the bulb a couple of times. After waiting 15-minutes or so it will sometimes start, and if it does a lot of white smoke comes out. Other times I have to pull it 30+ times before it begins to sound like it wants to start.
The other problem is sometimes the starter handle seems to be seized up and won't allow me to pull start the engine. The engine is in neutral, and again it seems to have a mind of its own.
This is my first time with an outboard, so any suggestions would be helpful.
sounds like the problem i had with my mecury 4 stroke 8 hp sameyear as mine i know what was wrong with mine but some one stole it off my boat they didnt cut the lock they cut the pice tha was locked to the lock didt take the gas tank mine was leaking gas you only need to prime it acouple of times then put it in the start position
Old 06-27-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

Sounds like flooding due to a worn out float needle on the carb. You are pushing too much gas in. Try starting without priming. I never have to use the primer bulb on mine.

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
Old 06-27-2013

charles b is on a distinguished road

sounds like the same problem i had with mine same year make model horsepower someone stole mine i new what was wrong with it did you buy it new or used i baught mine new never had a problem with it untill 2010 then someone stole it off off my boat they cut the piece thati had it locked to then i had whitesmoke comming from mine to but thats because i ran seefoam through it the nit started to leak gas and the cylender was broken i was going to get it fixed but it was stolen i still have the gas tank for it and its a 3 gallon tank that came with the motor when i baught it
you dont need to prime it so many times that just floods the pump should only be one pull on the starting rope and make sure its in the start position white smoke how long has it been sitting becaue it will do that when its been sitting for a while also dont over fill it with oile that will wreck the motor
Old 06-29-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Try one squeeze on the primer and full choke. I think you are flooding it with the primer. If it floods, open the throttle full and pull it with no choke, that will clear it out.

Just get to know the engine and you will be fine, it is finicky

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.