Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 01-30-2003

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
solar power trickle charge

Connecting the solar panels to trickle thru the 12VDC lighter socket may simplify things, but that requires you to leave your battery switch in the closed position (as was stated).

My question: don''t most folks usually recommend that the switch stays open while the boat is unoccupied (and electric bilge pumps wire directly to the battery, bypassing the switch)?

Your thoughts on the pros/cons welcome.

Duane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-30-2003

Sailmc is on a distinguished road

I the last 16 years I''ve left my batteries on for the entire season and turned them off only for winter storage. Never had a problem. In the application above this is the only way to benefit from a tricle charge.
Old 01-30-2003

dargiem is on a distinguished road

While it''s true that it''s a "good idea to turn your battery switch off while away" this only ensures the batteries will not be drawn down if you leave something else on ie. radios, lights etc. When you leave the boat after the weekend it is important to develop a procedure to shut down the systems while your away.

Another small point; if/when you measure the voltage from the solar panel without a load attached to it, it will not measure the ~16volts needed to charge the batteries. Don''t be alarmed, it''s just the switch which prevents back feeding the solar panel has not closed. Everything will be OK once you plug into the lighter socket.

Mike in Noank
Old 02-12-2003

petercra is on a distinguished road

I use a 20 watt Solarex panel with no regulator. It works great, my batteries are almost always topped up when I arrive the next weekend. The 10 watt panel which I used previously didn''t seem to always quite keep up with the loads on my 33 foot sailboat.

I connected the panel directly to the two batteries through 2 diodes and 2 fuses. The diodes provide isolation between the batteries and also prevent discharging at night.

Leaving the battery switch on "Both" is not advisable. If the batteries are unequal, one will drain into the other and possibly both will be destroyed. I''ve had that happen. It''s also a possible fire hazard. If a battery shorts out, the other one will pump a lot of current into the bad one, heating it up. Not a good idea while the boat is unattended.

You can use just about any diode from Radio Shack as the current is low (less than 2 amps for a 20 watt panel). The fuses should be about 2 amps. The banded end (cathode) of each diode should be connected to the positive terminal on each battery through a fuse. The other ends (anodes) should be connected together and to the positive output from the solar panel. The negative output from the solar panel is connected to the negative terminals on both batteries. Using two diodes prevents any measurable current flow between the batteries while allowing the panel to charge both batteries.

Returning to the boat on a sunny afternoon I''ve measured nearly 13 volts at the batteries, but that doesn''t seem high enough to cause overcharging or loss of electolyte. I get five years out of my batteries and use this arrangement during the winter so I don''t have to take the batteries off of the boat.

Old 02-20-2003

colehankins is on a distinguished road

Jap shack has diodes that help the solar panel. I think they are 1n1004 diodes that trap the current from leaking back from the batts during the night or lack of sunshine. Called avalanche or cascade diodes. They dont allow current to flow untill 12 vDC is reached. Put one diode in series with the positive lead, easy to put in the plug, and watch for polarity again. I also think the diode will take up to 3 amps, but check on that.
Cole

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.